· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cory Eggs!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Cory Eggs!

3 Not allowed!
    Two nights ago I noticed my Bronze Cory larger an older than her two Albino tank mates had begun to swell on the underside and was much lighter in color. It almost looked like a growth. In fact I intended to come home today and try to get a photo of it so I could ask what it was only when I walked in I found dozens of eggs on the glass and no swelled tummy on by Bronze Cory.

These three Cory share a tank with a Male Betta who pretty much keeps to himself at the top of the tank while they patrol the bottom, so I immediately went to the store and purchased a floating fry container and moved the eggs into the container as I didn't want the Betta to eat them.

I have spent the past hour doing some research. For any of you Cory experts, please confirm or correct what I have learned...

From what I have gathered they if they are viable, they will change in color from white to tan or brown in the next 24-48 hours, and if they remain white or clear, they weren't fertilized, or simply didn't make it.
    I read that they should be separated so as not to be eaten and they should have an air stone in the fry box with them to keep water moving around them.
    They should hatch in 5-6 days and will feed off their egg yolk sac for 1-2 days after hatching.
    After that they should be fed Brine Shrimp, crushed pellets or flakes, black worms or ??? (there were a few others that I am not remembering off the top of my head right now.
    I will be out of town this weekend, so all of my fish will be in the dark with no feeding for three days. Obviously this shouldn't be an issue for the eggs, as they aren't eating yet anyway. BUT. Will lack of light be an issue for them? Is light important to the eggs? Should I put the light on a timer?

I will set up a ten gallon tank to rear the fry next week when I return if I get some wrigglers out of the deal...

One last question... Will female Corys lay eggs if there are no males present? I know some fish will and some will not and I couldn't find anything answering that question...

Pictures:

Eggs on the side of the tank...

IMG_20160706_180517.jpg

Sorry for the blur...

IMG_20160706_190633.jpg
    THANKS AC!!
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Yup the eggs will change color if they are viable. The fry will fall out of the slots on that container-you should wrap that with mesh or get a mesh breeder for them.

Any eggs that stay white should be removed as they will encourage fungal growth. Once the eggs hatch the corys will have yolk sac but when that is gone feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, or the Hikarii first bites. Also once they hatch get them in another tank or even a shoe box with a sponge filter and heater and make sure you have some of the tank's substrate on the bottom of their nursery. I read that it help reduce losses and when I put some into my nursery I did stop having losses of fry. I would also add some small plants or floating plants for cover. When I found the eggs on one of my lotus leaves I had over 30 eggs and after the hatching and when they grew up a bit I wound up with 25.

Oh I forgot-when I had my eggs I floated them in the tank in a plastic shoe box with an airstone and did 1/3 WC twice a day. Then when they hatched I moved them out of the tank and put them in a plastic sweater box with the sponge filter and a heater and did WC twice a day at first and then when they got bigger once a day. You take their water out and replace it with water from your tank-not tap water.
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-07-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    In tank nursery

Out of tank nursery
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Congrats and good luck1
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Yup the eggs will change color if they are viable. The fry will fall out of the slots on that container-you should wrap that with mesh or get a mesh breeder for them.

Any eggs that stay white should be removed as they will encourage fungal growth. Once the eggs hatch the corys will have yolk sac but when that is gone feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, or the Hikarii first bites. Also once they hatch get them in another tank or even a shoe box with a sponge filter and heater and make sure you have some of the tank's substrate on the bottom of their nursery. I read that it help reduce losses and when I put some into my nursery I did stop having losses of fry. I would also add some small plants or floating plants for cover. When I found the eggs on one of my lotus leaves I had over 30 eggs and after the hatching and when they grew up a bit I wound up with 25.

Oh I forgot-when I had my eggs I floated them in the tank in a plastic shoe box with an airstone and did 1/3 WC twice a day. Then when they hatched I moved them out of the tank and put them in a plastic sweater box with the sponge filter and a heater and did WC twice a day at first and then when they got bigger once a day. You take their water out and replace it with water from your tank-not tap water.
    THANK YOU For the confirmations!

I just made arrangements to pick up a 10 Gallon tank this afternoon. I have two tanks at home whose water quality is identical. I plan to move about 4 Gallons of water from the 5 Gallon tank they are in now into the new 10 Gallon Tank, and steal some of the sand substrate from the same tank. I can pull a few plants as well (Thanks for that tip!) I plan to also add about 4 Gallons of water from my other tank just so I have enough water to get up to the filter draw on the 10 Gallon tank. I will "steal" some bio media from each of the two tanks since this new tank is obviously not cycled. But I figure with all of the water coming from two already cycled tanks and providing enough media, I should be OK.

I won't be able to do water changes as I am leaving town in the morning with my wife for a much needed get away, but I will do a water change as soon as we return on Monday. I also therefor won't be able to remove any eggs that aren't seeming to make it, as I won't be here. But I am going to give them the best chance I can of surviving, and if they do, EXCELLENT! I need more Cories anyway in the next few weeks as I will be finishing my current 55 Gallon tank build and Cories are a staple bottom dweller for me.

If they don't make it, that'll suck, but it's not like I am trying to breed them, so it won't upset me too badly. That said, if the fry don't make it, I may just move the Cories into the 10 Gallon tank and let them spawn again, and then pull them out of the tank, leaving the eggs alone... Surely eggs and fry will have a better chance if they are not repeatedly moved around.. We'll see!
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well you have a filter with media running and I had WC and a (non-seeded) sponge filter so you should be okay with the filtered thank. However once their yolk sac is gone they do need to be fed twice a day. Defrosted baby brine shrimp with the optional Hikarii first bites is the easiest (and fastest to get) food-though Kens fish sells golden pearls in various sizes for fry, but I never got that for my guys. They love the defrosted baby brine shrimp and when they got a bit bigger I pulverized Ken's shrimp pellets and NLS pellets for them
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-07-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Well you have a filter with media running and I had WC and a (non-seeded) sponge filter so you should be okay with the filtered thank. However once their yolk sac is gone they do need to be fed twice a day. Defrosted baby brine shrimp with the optional Hikarii first bites is the easiest (and fastest to get) food-though Kens fish sells golden pearls in various sizes for fry, but I never got that for my guys. They love the defrosted baby brine shrimp and when they got a bit bigger I pulverized Ken's shrimp pellets and NLS pellets for them
    We will be back on their 5th day in egg, so we should be there when they break out of their shells, if they make it that far.

My LFS has BBS, so I will wait until we get back and see if there is a need to run out and get some. I will call and ask about Hikarii. I have a good shrimp pellet too, so I could crush those if needed.

My Tank Journals:
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Surprise breedings like this just add extra excitement to the hobby. Hope these make it for you. But if not, as you said, they will probably provide you with more opportunities for fry down the road.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    All of the eggs appear to be darkening in color. Yesterday they were pearl white. Today they look tan or yellowish. Two or three look like an eggshell white. I will look again in the morning before we leave...

I transferred them into their own tank. They are still in the breeder box, but should one or two get out they will be safe. I wrapped some batting around the water intake tube so no fry get sucked up into the filter.

I've done what I can do. Now I just need to sit back and wait...

My Tank Journals:
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The eggshell white are not viable and will start to go fuzzy, I would try to remove them.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore