· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

Default Multi- Betta Tank

2 Not allowed!
    So, I have one tank that I am currently building, My In Wall 55 Gallon, Journal HERE.

I have a second 55 Gallon tank for which I will build a stand, etc, that I haven't even started yet, Journal HERE

Yesterday someone at work gave me a FREE 20L and of course I immediately started thinking about a Multi-Betta tank design. I acquired a Male Half Moon a few months ago, and I want more. He is simply beautiful and FULL of personality. So, this morning, I got a project done early so I spent an hour drafting the design in my head.

FRONT View. Four sections with black acrylic barriers so they can't see each other, and black backgrounds, so I can see them better. Notice the slots in the bottom, this will be the primary draw from their living quarters. A "Bottom Overflow" to suck out detritus, etc. with notched top overflow just in case water gets that high.

Multi-Betta Design Front View.JPG

SIDE View. Water will enter at bottom and be mechanically filtered by floss in Chamber A, Biologically filtered in Chamber B, and Heated in Chamber C

Multi-Betta Design Side View.JPG

Rear View. The Rear of the tank is Chamber C where water will be heated and then overflow into the last chamber (also labeled C) with the Pump to return water to the tank. While not drawn, I plan to run a black tube across the top of the front of the tank just below the water line and spray water down into the chambers thus creating a flow from front to back to assist in Detritus removal while not creating a lot of water flow since the Bettas like minimal water movement. I will also add an overflow to the back of the tank near the top of that pump section. My intention is to provide a drip system that will provide 4-5 gallons of fresh water every day without the need for major vacuuming or water changes since my Betta hates when I do water changes.

Multi-Betta Design Rear View.JPG

So. Each Betta will have approximately 4 Gallons of water Volume in which to live. My current Betta has about 4.5 Gallons in his tank, so this will be slightly smaller, but still adequate. I think. And I will have a self contained tank and filtration system which will require weekly floss changes, but hopefully, not much of anything else!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    In servicing the back, I like things simple. Personally I would combine A&B so that I could vacuum that area if need be. The water would flow over, instead of under, into chamber C with the heater. I would then use 2 HMF filter pads for both mechanical and biological filtration in A & B. The first would be a coarse pad a waffle cut 10 ppi. The second pad would be finer and be 30-45 ppi ( http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...ret-foam-shop/ ) Basically, I would be able to pull the whole pad out and service versus pulling out individual bags/pieces. The tank could sit closer to the wall without you having to pull it out and servicing the back.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Also the foam could/would be the home for BB and theoretically you would be making a modified HMF filter, love the design
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    In servicing the back, I like things simple...
    Couldn't agree more!

... Personally I would combine A&B so that I could vacuum that area if need be. The water would flow over, instead of under, into chamber C with the heater. I would then use 2 HMF filter pads for both mechanical and biological filtration in A & B. The first would be a coarse pad a waffle cut 10 ppi. The second pad would be finer and be 30-45 ppi ( http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...ret-foam-shop/ )...
    I thought about the vacuuming... I figured if it needed vacuuming I could do so with a 3/4 inch tube. (I should have enough 3/4 PVC left from my current build to cut a piece about 15" long which I could then attach to a tube, which would give me a nice probe to get down to the bottom of those narrow channels of need be.)

Basically, I would be able to pull the whole pad out and service versus pulling out individual bags/pieces. The tank could sit closer to the wall without you having to pull it out and servicing the back.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_sit...ret-sheets.jpg
    I haven't given it much "design thought" but I will probably build some sort of a "basket" which can be stuffed with batting and slid down into the chamber and another into which I can put media. I don't expect to have to remove that very often, as I currently use a batting "floss" before my sponge filters in my canister, and I rarely see much detritus get into the foam anymore. I have found it much simpler to remove and toss batting vs. removing and rinsing sponges. That said, I'll do a few "proofs of concept" mock ups before I commit and figure out what will work best... Sliding a single piece of foam in an out would certainly be easy, and that site you linked has the foam necessary for reasonable prices.

More things to ponder...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Also the foam could/would be the home for BB and theoretically you would be making a modified HMF filter, love the design
    Very true... and Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus