· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Thoughts on Electric Blue Acaras?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge on the Electric Blue Araca? I bought one about 2 months ago. First time I've ever seen one. But before I bought it I read up on them, and as far as aggression goes, all I've read is that they are pretty peaceful for a Cichlid. That they can be in a community tank with fish around it's size. I know that they are a hybrid of a Electric Blue Ram & and Blue Acara. Just recently he's been bullying my Bolivian Rams, I have 2 of those. He was fine at first for a while, but every time they come into sight he goes right for them. I have a 60 gallon with a lot of hiding spaces, and I just added more hiding spots. I've talked to people that have both fishes in their tanks and they have no problems. So either, I've read wrong, or my EBA is just a butthead. He seems very hyper and swims all over the place, doesn't just hang out at the bottom. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    EBA are not hybrids. They are genetically modified organisms (GMO). Their fry turn up to look exactly like the parents. With hybrids, the fry can look different, taking on the characteristic of either parent.

In the cichlid world, there is no guarantee in compatibility. If they are not given the space they need, they will fight with other cichlids. Being hyper can be the result of the tank being too small or improper water parameters. Using a liquid test, ammonia and nitrites should be 0ppm, and nitrates should be less than 20ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Temperature may also be a factor, IME cichlids are generally less trouble if maintained near the lower end of their temp range. Even a couple degrees can make quite a difference in their activity level, not so much on their appetite though.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I've tried two of these guys and they are great looking fish. I lost both to what I think was ich. But they are the only ones I've ever seen get it in my tank. Everybody else doesn't seem to suffer from it. Any thoughts on that. And by the way I never had an aggressive problem out of mine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    the other fish in your tank is not stressed out, and therefore their immune system is capable of fighting the ich off.