· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The WCMM's need a cooler tank temp than the cherry barbs and CPD's would...I'd go with the cherry barbs, very neat looking and active fish...I've considered trying them myself, many here have great success with them.

Also look at green neon tetras, the "false" neon
    There is also a Veitnamese White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys micagemmae) which is a little smaller than Tanichthys albonubes and these are OK with a little higher temps. I have them with dwarf pencilfish, dwarf cories, and RCS and I run the tank at 74F.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I always forget this fact for some reason, how many do you have, Sue?...where did you get them?

Though in the summer, I'd struggle to keep any of my tanks at 74F
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I always forget this fact for some reason, how many do you have, Sue?...where did you get them?

I got them from Msjinkzd a year ago last April and I only have 5 now. I lost one about a week after I got them and 3 jumped out months later (different times) during water changes. The remaining 5 have done really well, though. She hasn't had them in a while but now has some in quarantine so I think I'll be adding another 5 or 6.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!

Just what I was going to say, I think CPDs prefer low temperatures. (Mid-seventies f)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

0 Not allowed!
    Sue - Thanks! I already have a lot of water lettuce floating so the light isn't too bright. I really love those cats, but I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to care for them properly.

Wow, I love the look of the Vietnamese variety - big bright bands. How many Vietnamese minnows does Msjinkzd have? Do you think she'd would be willing to sell me some in about a month or so? I'm away from home at the moment. I have my SO maintaining the tank, but I don't think he'd be comfortable adding fish and I don't know if I'd be comfortable with him adding fish without me. haha I'd be willing to pay for some when they're ready to go to 'hold' them. I did a quick internet search and couldn't find them elsewhere.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowfish90 View Post
    Hey all!

I have a 29g high tank all planted and about ready to go. Let me know what you think of the stocking?

12 Celestial Pearl Danios
    8 Harlequin Rasboras
    3-6 Dwarf Anchor Catfish (Hara jerdoni)
    Some wild type Neocaridina heteropoda (Cherries)

I was kind of considering White Cloud Minnows but that might be pushing it for the space limit. I have an Eheim 2213 running on it, if that helps. I have a hard time visualizing the sizes of the fish in relation to the tank. :(

With all fish (including the minnows(8) and shrimp(10-20)) it puts me between 80%-90% stocking on Aqadvisor, depending on the number of shrimp. Without the minnows, I'm at 70% even. Without the shrimp I'm at about 82%.

Any advice is highly appreciated, thanks!
    I am a little late but here is my

CPDs are very shy, but I have mine with a group of espei rasboras (like harleys but 1/2 the size) and they are out all the time. I would double their numbers to at least 24 to start.

The harley will be bit big with the CPD and may even go after the cherry shrimp, as I mentioned their cousin the espei has similar markings and is a little brighter but a lot smaller than them, would go with 12-16 of them.

The anchor cats are pretty reclusive and definitely nocturnal. I started with a group of 5 in my 20 long, and 2 died leaving me with 3 right now. They have been eating the Hikari sinking wafers as well as shrimp food and repashy foods-along with frozen bloodworms and shrimp. Unfortunately not too many options with Asian bottom feeders that won't go after shrimp (loaches).

The minnows would more than likely go after the shrimp too, if you decide to get them let the shrimp population build for a few months and provide them with good hiding spots (like moss).

Aqadvisor is a nice guide to stock with-but not a rule book when it comes to stocking. You can add a few more of the smaller fish provided you have a well planted tank (which also helps with water quality). I have to say that in my layouts with the espei and CPDs they like open water with dense vegetation and driftwood below versus dense vegetation from floor to top of tank. They act the most natural in that type of design.
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-05-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Red face

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowfish90 View Post
    Sue - Thanks! I already have a lot of water lettuce floating so the light isn't too bright. I really love those cats, but I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to care for them properly.

Wow, I love the look of the Vietnamese variety - big bright bands. How many Vietnamese minnows does Msjinkzd have? Do you think she'd would be willing to sell me some in about a month or so? I'm away from home at the moment. I have my SO maintaining the tank, but I don't think he'd be comfortable adding fish and I don't know if I'd be comfortable with him adding fish without me. haha I'd be willing to pay for some when they're ready to go to 'hold' them. I did a quick internet search and couldn't find them elsewhere.
    I'm not sure how many she might have got in or if she would hold any or not. But she quarantines for a while - at least a couple of weeks, I think - so they wouldn't be for sale until then. You can e-mail her and ask. She's very responsive (almost immediately) and great to deal with. Take a look around her site; she also has a facebook page and does lots of Youtube videos.

If you don't see a response in a day or so, check your SPAM folder. I was surprised when 2 e-mails I sent about 2 weeks apart were not answered. I had dealt with her a number of times before. So I tried once more and sure enough, I got her response that she had, in fact responded right away. The 1st two responses were sitting in my SPAM for some reason.

A 3rd option instead of the harleys or espies are the Trigonostigma hengeli - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...tigma-hengeli/
    These are smaller than both of the other two.
    Last edited by SueD; 07-05-2016 at 02:06 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Boundava - You think the harlequins will be too big? :( I was kind of trying to get a range of sizes rather than a bunch of tiny fish. But if it would harm the CPDs I might go with T. espei. I was considering skipping on the shrimp because some people have said it's okay and the fish ignore them, but others have said they regularly eat smaller shrimp. Thanks for the list of foods the anchor cats have taken! Do you know why they died? Is there anything I should avoid when caring for them?

Sue - Sent her an email and waiting for a reply! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    I think my 2 died from poor stock. It was a surprise when I found their little skeletons when I was cleaning/pruning plants. I have a good population of blue pearl shrimp in the tank and the Malaysian trumpet snails with assassin snails which are good cleanup crews. They are so reclusive that I put food in light out for them so they can come out and eat. Rarely will one come out during the day.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

2 Not allowed!
    I would put 16 white clouds (Vietnamese, if you can find them) and 20 pygmy cories and finish it off with 20 cherry shrimp. I'm in the school of over filtration so I would add a Aquaclear 20 HOB as a back up. My 29 gallon is filtered by eheim 2217 and Aquaclear 30 ( Super Overkill) it currently has 7 cardinal tetras, 4 blue line liquorice gourami and at least 50 baby blue eye plecos(1 cm size) . Don't worry everyone I'm just growing them out so I can catch them and rehome them.
    Roll the Dice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast