· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Corys are cool. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank - Silbar   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

Question In love with the clowns but will they love my tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hiya folks,

Okay so presently im at the end of my fishless cycle and im planning on getting Threadfins and Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish (both tiny fish) along with either ember tetra or Lampeyes. I will have some pygmy corys too. I am in love with the clown killis and think they would look beautiful in my tank full of miniature fish. Questions are:

My water is hard (UK) will clowns tolerate this? My PH is 7.6.
    Will they be okay with a moderate current? I am vastly over filtrated so the spraybar produces current which is fine for me as rainbows quite like this. Will clowns be okay or do they need still water? Its not racing round, the plants arnt bent over but the water is def moving lol

The tank is a 29g (well 33g actually but juwel have internal filters which take up a fair bit of room).

Its planted with a wide variety of plants including floaters. Lots of hiding places.

So much conflicting information on the web I thought I would ask people who have personally kept them or other killis.

Many thanks guys :)

Edited to add that like the other fish going in I will get a group of at least 6-8

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like they prefer softer, slightly acidic water...may depend on if they are wild caught or tank raised

I've never kept them.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...tys-annulatus/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I also haven't kept them but they seem to like blackwater setup with acidic to neutral water. They are beautiful fish though.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    clowns are my favorite freshwater fish I will keep them one day when I have my dream aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You mean clown loaches, the OP is considering clown killifish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    well that's what I get for not reading the whole post...."quietly exits the thread"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    These are so lovely! I can see why you like them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Corys are cool. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank - Silbar   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I talked to the guy in the shop today....he told me his clown killis are fine in our local water and they are fairly tolerant because they are tank bred :))) so looks like it's a go for the killis! Thanks for the replies.

And definitely NOT clown loaches haha not really my sort of fish ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Great news! Love to see them in your tank.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batatazinha View Post
    I talked to the guy in the shop today....he told me his clown killis are fine in our local water and they are fairly tolerant because they are tank bred :))) so looks like it's a go for the killis!
    Fabulous news! I'm looking forward to seeing these in your tank. They look very cool. I'm delighted for you that you can keep them in your local water!