· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Striped Raphael Help!

0 Not allowed!
    We just started our 110 gallon fish tank not that long ago. We have six baby (almost 2 inch) cichlids of the more docile species. We bought an almost 2 inch striped Raphael catfish on Tuesday. We saw him checking things out in the tank and then he went into hiding that night after about 40 minutes in the tank. We couldn't find him. The next morning we turned over all the caves in the tank and still could not find him. Last night my husband raked the sand and no movement. When it was dark, I tried to feed him a little bottom feeder food to see if he would come out and nothing. We still have no idea where this fish is. My husband is convinced he is dead, buried in the sand. He actually wants to take out all of our decorations and move all the sand to find the fish. Is this common? How on earth do we get this thing to come out of where ever he is? And yes, we did check the floor and he didn't jump out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of cichlids?

Was the tank cycled before you added fish?

How long has the tank been set up?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    He could have wedge himself within a decoration and gotten stuck. Lifting the decoration up won't necessarily dislodged him. Look inside the decoration.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    3 yellow lab and 3 blue dolphin cichlids. The tank has been cycled. The tank has only had fish in it for a week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Raphaels are nocturnal fish. It probably found the perfect hidey hole and you will see it only once in a while. Be sure to throw some food in the tank for it after lights out.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Happy to report that our little catfish decided to show himself on Monday night when we were attempting to feed him. His belly was big. Apparently, he has been eating very well. So, we have backed off on the food and he is starting to look more normal now. He shows himself every morning when I feed the cichlids and is not as crazy about hiding where we can't find him at night now. I guess he finally feels at home. :) Thanks for the help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Yea don't worry it is not uncommon to seldom ever see your kittyfish friends especially nocturnal species such as the Raphael some folks add a red LED for night time viewing.