· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Poor fish growth in 38-gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 38-gallon long tank with a julidichromis marlieri, neo leleupi, alto comp, syndontis petricola, syndontis eupterus and bristlenose. The eupterus has thrived and is probably 4+ inches. The other fish have been in the tank for 6-18 months, but only the bristle and Julie have grown significantly, each at about 3", and seem to have reached a plateau. The petricola and leleupi both have not surpassed about 2" and have been in the tank for more than a year, while the comp has been around for 6 months and is no more than 2".
    I feed NLS cichlid pellets 2x/day with half an algae wafer and a few shrimp pellets every other day.
    Temp is around 78-80, with pH about 8.0, 15-20% water changes every 1-2 weeks, HOB filter rated at I believe 40 gallons. I occasionally add some rinsed zucchini for the bottom feeders and freeze-dried blood worms, maybe once every 2 weeks.
    The Julie and eupterus clearly run the tank, so I am sure that has contributed to the leleupi and petricola not growing since they seem to be bullied.
    I know I need to increase the frequency of fresh and frozen foods, especially since the cichlids don't seem to be as eager about the pellets since moving a month ago, but I was wondering what else could be helpful at this point? Or is that the higher quality food the key?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    The feeding is enough to encourage good growth. You need to increase the volume of water change. Fish will emit growth hormones that will let it know if the environment is conducive for optimal growth. If you do not do enough water changes, then the fish will not grow as fast. Doing 15-20% water changes is not a lot. Using a liquid nitrate test, the nitrates should be below 20ppm, and you should be able to test any day of the week, and see that it is less than 20ppm if you are doing enough water changes.

If the fish are not eager to eat, something is wrong with the water quality.