· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

Default Starved and blind?

0 Not allowed!
    I went on vacation for 2 weeks and left my aquariums in the care of a neighbor, who was instructed to feed them pre-made piles of food every 2-3 days. Somehow, my betta never got fed for 2 weeks because my neighbor got confused (although he fed the other 2 tanks just fine). Anyway, I doubt a skinnier fish is alive right now as this thing is almost all spine. In addition, his eyes are a little cloudy and he is having trouble seeing. I'm not sure if this is a bacterial infection and I should medicate the tank, or if it's a symptom of him being extremely underweight. I don't want to medicate an already weak fish, ya know? I've been home for a week and he is eating well (feeding him 3-4x a day until he gains weight & spot cleaning tank due to extra feeding). He is also already a ton more active than he was when I first got home, but his poor eyesight is making me worry.

So basically my question is: How do I get him back in top shape? And should I medicate?

Other info:
    10 gal
    heater, filter
    live plants (Anubias, moss)
    bare bottom
    0 A, 0N, 0N
    pH 7.5
    betta lives alone
    weekly WC

**Medications I have on hand are aquarium salt and Maracyn II.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    He is blind as a result of bacterial infection that occurred under a stressful situation of not being fed.

You can use Kordon's methylene blue or Seachem Paraguard on the fish to treat the cloudy eyes, and it will not make it weaker. The best way is to use either medication is in a bath for 30 minutes everyday for 1 week. Waiting longer could make the cloudy eyes more permanent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    So sorry that you've returned home to find this situation.
    Best wishes that you can heal your poor Betta.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

5 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice and good wishes guys. I'm going to the store now to find the right meds. Hopefully it clears up soon!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't find either of the meds you recommended, so I used Maracyn II after looking online that people had used it for similar symptoms. However, my fish is worse looking after a few days. In addition to cloudy eyes and being very skinny, he's also got white stringy feces and a bunch of his scales have fallen off. None of the scales are raised as if he had dropsy, but they still have fallen off. His appetite is still 10/10 and he is moving around decently considering how sick he appears. He does, however, sleep more often and clamp his tail a bit. Should I continue Maracyn II or order another med online?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I would suggest using an antibacterial med admistered internally if he's eating well (lace his food with antibiotics). I've used kanamycin (Kanaplex) to lace the food. It's also a very soluable med and you can add it to the tank water as well. Most often white, stingy poop points to parasitic attacks, as you might know too though. The missing scales could be a result of the fish squeezing into a hiding spot or simply rubbing against aquarium decor and gravel from irratation. Could still be parasitic.

Do you have a picture of your betta? Which antibiotic meds are available to you?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-19-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I also soak pellets in garlic, especially when laced with meds, it improves the tastiness and has is own benefits, especially with parasite issues. There's a product called 'Guarlic Guard' if you prefer to use products made for aquarium use.

If you do choose to switch up the med, just make sure to do a good water change first, add carbon if you wish to remove the current med.

I hope someone who knows more can help too!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-19-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I would suggest using an antibacterial med admistered internally if he's eating well (lace his food with antibiotics). I've used kanamycin (Kanaplex) to lace the food. It's also a very soluable med and you can add it to the tank water as well. Most often white, stingy poop points to parasitic attacks, as you might know too though. The missing scales could be a result of the fish squeezing into a hiding spot or simply rubbing against aquarium decor and gravel from irratation. Could still be parasitic.

Do you have a picture of your betta? Which antibiotic meds are available to you?
    I'd recommend ordering from Amazon. I find most material on there to be cheaper, you're not limited, and you can in many cases get next-day delivery.

...Except for API's General Cure. That was MUCH cheaper through Foster and Smith.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish
    50 Gallon| South American Cichlids
    26 Gallon Bowfront| Tetra/Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiad View Post
    I couldn't find either of the meds you recommended
    I got my meth blue online. I think ebay. It's not legal in my country for sale. Search Kordon's methylene blue.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oops, just saw Kit's post. It might have been amazon....
    -Kat