· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Help!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help!!

0 Not allowed!
    About 2 months ago my daughter and I set up small tank in our kitchen. It is a Fluval Chi; only 5 gallons. We put in a betta and a mystery snail. Sadly, the betta died from ick. Caught it too late to save the fish. The snail seems unaffected. At the time the betta became ill we did some water quality testing on the tank and found elevated ammonia level; approximately 4. Sadly, we did not check water quality often in this tank.We switched filters to an Aqueon Quiet 10. We did a large water change and it went down to .5. As of today it is back up to 1. When we changed the filter we also added Tetra SafeStart. I used it when I restarted my 29 gallon aquarium with success. I know it was not good on my part to not monitor water quality in that tank more often. Have turned up the temp on the heater to 86 degrees to get rid of any ick without medication. I understand 86 degrees is the upper temp limit for snails.
    Wondering how to resolve water quality issue while getting rid of the ick.
    Thought about moving the snail to my other tank. But I read that snails can be carriers of ick even though it won't make them ill. I guess that rules out moving the snail as I don't want to get ick in my other tank.
    Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    So sorry you are dealing with this.
    I'll let others advise you on both issues
    1. how best to rid your tank of this protozoan
    and also
    2. how to best do water changes to bring down that ammonia to zero, while maintaining the elevated temp on such a small tank. One thought: Do you have an accurate instant-read thermometer? You could mix warm water in a little container to get it exactly the right temp before adding it. You will need to do water changes somehow.

You are very correct in your thinking about not adding the snail to another tank -- no reason to risk introducing the ich protozoan across your tanks.
    Speaking of, make very certain you do not cross contaminate between tanks. Water changers, nets, ... everything you put in this tank needs to remain out of any other tanks until you sterilize the implement.

Best wishes for you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you.
    I do have an instant read thermometer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    The snail can carry ich while it is in the tomont stage but the ich won't feed off the snail in the trophozoite stage. All you have to do is wait out the ich's natural life cycle and it will be gone.
    Testing the water daily and large water changes is the best solution for the ammonia. You also need to cycle the tank. Once the snail is ich free, (I would err on the side of caution and wait at least a week) you can move it to another tank and cycle the 5 gallon with bottled ammonia. Until then, daily water changes.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    The snail can carry ich while it is in the tomont stage but the ich won't feed off the snail in the trophozoite stage. All you have to do is wait out the ich's natural life cycle and it will be gone.
    That makes things a whole lot simpler.
    Good to know!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I will remember that.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Update: the tank is finally starting to cycle. My daughter and I do water testing every day followed by 50% water changes. Add water conditioner and Marineland aquarium with each water change. Maintaining tank temperature at 86 degrees.
    Snail seems to be doing fine; moving about and eating.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad things are going well!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oops. Missed a word in my post. Meant to say that we add Marineland aquarium bacteria.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hi all!!
    It has been a bit more than 2 weeks since I lasted posted about this little tank. Thought it was time for an update.
    Our mystery snail has done well. He has grown a lot. He did not seem bothered by the elevated temp of 86 degrees that we set to kill off the ick from the betta who died.
    We kept up the water testing and did water changes when necessary.
    Today, we decided to change out the Aqueon Quiet 10 filter to AquaClear 20. The Aqueon 10 filter never really seemed to become fully cycled even though we added bacterial supplements and ammonia; one drop only so we did not harm the snail.
    When we switched filters we used a bag of bio-media from my daughter's cycled tank. She has had 2 bags of bio-media in her tank so she could spare one. We added the new bag of bio-media from the new filter to her filter so she will still have 2 bags. Hopefully it won't take long for that new bag of media to become colonized.