· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Bettas

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Multiple Bettas

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone here keep Multiple Bettas in a sectioned off tank?

I never thought I would care much for Bettas, especially since you can only keep one in a tank. But I have a small 5 Gallon tank on my desk that had previously housed a Goldfish (who now lives in a 20 Gallon and will soon be in a 45 Gallon), and an empty tank is wasted water...

I wasn't sure what I was going to put in there so I I've been keeping my open for something unique, and then I saw a Betta a few weeks ago that just caught my eye and I bought him. I must say, I absolutely love the little guy. He has a lot of personality, eats from my fingers and is freaking beautiful to look at.

I am now trying to find ways to keep multiples. I saw a display at a pet store where they had a few long shallow tanks sectioned off and had Male Bettas in each section. I immediately thought that it would be cool to do something like that where I could have multiple Bettas.

So, here are my questions...

HOW many Bettas do you have?
    How do you tank them? Individual tanks, bowls, or like described above...
    Photos would be awesome...

Here is my Blue Boy "Azul"... Forgive the horrible photo...

2016-05-25 18.03.45.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    We once had 11 bettas, each in their own 2.5 gallon tank ( think it was like-or was the Aqueon mini-bow) with filter and light-yes ELEVEN at one time, in that room that is now the bird-fish-turtle room. We now have 4, Strika (girl) in a 10 gallon, Baby (girl) in 5.5 gallon, Aurora (girl) in 5.5 gallon and Mr. Razz (boy-king betta) in my 75 gallon. IME; having been there-done that, I would not put a betta in anything smaller than a 5.5. Many claim that they don't use the space but take a betta from a 1, 2, or 3 gallon tank and put them in a 5.5 or 10 gallon with the right filter and look at them utilize every inch of their new penthouse.

Azul is gorgeous, congrats on your new betta, like potato chips (and fish tanks)-you can never stop at one...
    Last edited by Boundava; 06-07-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    We once had 11 bettas, each in their own 2.5 gallon tank ( think it was like-or was the Aqueon mini-bow) with filter and light-yes ELEVEN at one time, in that room that is now the bird-fish-turtle room. We now have 4, Strika (girl) in a 10 gallon, Baby (girl) in 5.5 gallon, Aurora (girl) in 5.5 gallon and Mr. Razz (boy-king betta) in my 75 gallon. IME; having been there-done that, I would not put a betta in anything smaller than a 5.5. Many claim that they don't use the space but take a betta from a 1, 2, or 3 gallon tank and put them in a 5.5 or 10 gallon with the right filter and look at them utilize every inch of their new penthouse.

Azul is gorgeous, congrats on your new betta, like potato chips (and fish tanks)-you can never stop at one...
    Couldn't put it better myself. This is a perfect response.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you!
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

3 Not allowed!
    My Mr. Betta has his own 10 gal fishy paradise. He patrols the entire tank and enjoys all the the room available in his 10 gal, especially when he sees his reflection and, with fins flared, swims back and forth to impress that "other betta" in the glass.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I've never had or wanted a betta, but yours is really beautiful.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post

Thanks Boundava. That is helpful information. I have read that they don't need much space, but just after watching Azul in the desktop 5 Gallon, I wouldn't alot any less space. If I do a "Multi-Tank" I will likely segregate a 20 Gallon into four sections. I like the "Multi-Tank" concept as cleaning and keeping water quality good is much easier with a larger tank. After I posted this, I even started thinking about building a shelving unit for two 20 Gallon tanks, serviced and filtered by a third acting as a sump filter, thus having even more water volume (50 Gallons at least) and space for 8 Bettas, without cramming them into a 2 Gallon segment of a tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    If you want to go with a separated tank-make sure they cannot see each other-as this will can cause them to simply want to fight their competition and will cause them stress. This type of barrier may cause problems with filtration along the whole tank-so you may need to consider individual sponge filters.

Here's a link to someone who had a similar idea:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...a-tank.197522/

Some alternate tank ideas with plastic canvas dividers-hlp with them not seeing each other and feeling secure.
    95dc4491432c69db07fdb7fb3299fe6e.jpg

rllatLq.jpg

Another to help you with the divider concept:
    http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/diy-dividers.html

Its a neat idea.
    Last edited by Boundava; 06-08-2016 at 01:12 AM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Boundava... That first one is one I found when I googled when I got home... If I do this, and it will be a while before I do, I will use black pvc panels to separate the fish. I will likely paint the back of the tank black as well so the fish are highlighted well. I will lightly decorate each chamber with a small cave and some greenery, much like that last one. I even had a brainstorm last night to do a wide (front) and deep (front to back) tank where I could put a "false back" in black PVC and then build the filtering system into the same tank. Think two tanks within a tank. One long thin one in the back to house all the filtering necessities, heaters, etc. and one in front sectioned off into four or five sections with black walls. Water would come in from the left, flow through chambers left to right, and then exit to the back of the tank, where the water would flow right to left being thoroughly filtered along the way.

But right now I need to finish my 55 Gallon build and then build my 48 Gallon tank, and THEN I can start doing this Betta Tank.... Though trust me, I am keeping my eyes open for the perfect tank at the perfect price and if I see it. I will buy it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I found the perfect tank (or darn near perfect) at the perfect (FREE) price! I have changed my thinking slightly and decided that a sideways water flow would not be best... I think each section of the tank having it's own supply and discharge would be better, so I changed my design concept. I started a Tank Journal because, now that I Have a tank, it is on my list of "tanks to build".

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...111&highlight=