· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Treating White spot/Ich in a cold water tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have an AquaOne 480 tank, which isn't heated & is currently inhabited by 2 Platy.

Unfortunately upon returning home from a weekend away I have found both fish covered in tiny white spots & very docile. It's very sad to see them this way.

I've been to the fish shop today & been given some treatment to put in the water (after removing the carbon from the filter). I've added that today & am due to add the next dose in 4 days time.

However, I've read on other threads that I should be warming up the water. As my tank is currently cold, should I add a heater now & start gently raising the temp?

Also, other advice indicated I should also being doing daily partial water changes, but do I do this while treating the tank water? Wouldn't that dilute the 'medication'?

Finally, the fish really seem to be struggling for oxygen today. Should I be increasing the oxygen levels in the tank by adding an air stone or anything like that?

Any advice gratefully received. I'm really routing for these poor little guys to make it but they are looking increasingly sorry for themselves.

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Which medication did you buy?

I am going to move this thread to the Fish Diseases section, the experts there will be able to give you better advice than you may receive in the Beginner section.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Use heat or medication, not both. With that being said, it would be fine to add a heater for the fish if the water is below 70F/21C. Many medications deplete oxygen from the water so an air stone should be used while medicating or, you can lower the water level a bit so the water surface is agitated a bit more. The added surface agitation will help get oxygen back into the water.
    As for water changes, follow the medications instructions.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for your help. Sorry thought I had just posted a reply but it's gone missing (I'm very new to the world of forums) so I'll try again.

Medicine is Love Fish 'White Spot & Parasite'. Active ingredients are Formaldehyde & Malachite Green Oxalate.

The surface of the water see,s well agitated but the fish are right down at the bottom of the tank!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    They may have had ich longer than you think. Ich often starts in the gills where we really can't see it. That medication is fine, follow the instructions on the package.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll carry on with that then.

Sadly it looks like one of the fish may have just lost the battle :(

If the other one makes it through the night I'll pick up an air stone tomorrow to hopefully improve it's chances.

If I lose both, is it adviseable to empty the tank & start again?

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    No need to start over. The ich life cycle is only 3-7ish days depending on the temperature of the tank. With no host they die. So if the other fish doesn't make it then just wait a week to 10 days before adding more fish. I suggest you keep the tank cycled with bottled ammonia during that time and do a big water change before getting fish though.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well will keep fingers crossed for the last fish & will follow your advice otherwise.

I've really struggled with this tank from the beginning, through silly mistakes made from lack of experience, so will make sure I do plenty of research before restocking.

Just as a general guideline, would you say it's better to have a heater in the tank? Might put one in if I need to start over with new fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    A heater isn't always necessary. It depends on the room temperature and the species of fish you are keeping. If the fish you want need water warmer than the natural temperature of the tank then yes, get a heater. I don't have one in either of my tanks. I live in central Texas and it is generally warm enough that I don't really need one. I do have a couple just in case it is needed, but I haven't needed it yet.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh thought I'd clicked to like on a comment earlier in the thread but it's turned to a thumbs down!!!! Can I change it back? Sorry for being so rubbish!!