· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help identifying what is this growth on my neon tetra?

0 Not allowed!
    Fish3.jpgFish1.JPGFish2.JPG

Hello,
    I'd appreciate any tips to identify this growth on my neon tetra... tumor, egg ball, or something else? Just noticed it today. It's 1 of 8 neon tetras, approx 1.5 years old, not acting sick or having any trouble swimming. Thank you in advance! This is my first aquarium of fish and first time on an Aquatic Forum.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

5 Not allowed!
    That doesn't look good at all. I suspect it is either a tumor or internal organs partially extruded through the body wall. Even if it is acting normal right now, the chance of that healing fully are low and the lump will be prone to injury and infection.
    I recommend putting the fish out of its misery. clove oil from the pharmacy works well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    That doesn't look good at all. I suspect it is either a tumor or internal organs partially extruded through the body wall. Even if it is acting normal right now, the chance of that healing fully are low and the lump will be prone to injury and infection.
    I recommend putting the fish out of its misery. clove oil from the pharmacy works well.
    Agree with M.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the kind words - steeler58   correct guess - mac   Because you are the best! - discusluv   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I'd just like to offer my condolences to you. It is not easy to have to make the decision to put down a pet.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, but the next morning, the egg ball growth (or whatever it was) had fallen off the fish and she (?) is swimming and acting normal. The egg ball growth was at the bottom of the tank, but gone (maybe eaten) by the end of the day. Strange!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quite strange. Does it show a lump on its lip also ?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday! - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Very odd indeed, never seen that before. I also thought it was a prolapse or growth of some sort.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the kind words - steeler58   correct guess - mac   Because you are the best! - discusluv   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    It is quite mysterious. Glad that it dropped off, but still wish I knew what it was.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    dropped off? that's quite unheard of. if you look at the fish's belly is there any opening or wound at the attachment site?