· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Enticing a Sailfin Pleco to come out from under a rock...

0 Not allowed!
    I have a beautiful Sailfin Pleco who I rarely see because he hides under a rock all the time.

I know they are nocturnal by nature and the only time I see him is in the morning when I turn on the lights. He fans out all of his (or her) fins and then as soon as his eyes have adjusted, he bolts for his favorite piece of slate and I don't see him again for another 24 hours.

Does anyone know a trick to get them to come out of hiding once in a while? Or a treat they find irresistible enough to brave coming out in the light of day?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Have you tried fresh veggies?

Many plecos are like yours...I too have one I rarely see, he hides in his favorite spot under a piece of DW most of the day
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Have you tried fresh veggies?

Many plecos are like yours...I too have one I rarely see, he hides in his favorite spot under a piece of DW most of the day
    I have not. Are you talking about a soft vegetable, like a squash? or leafy, like Spinach? or hard, like carrot?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

3 Not allowed!
    you can try almost any veggie. My go-to standard is zucchini. Some people will recommend microwaving them briefly to soften them up, but I've never done that. I take a zucchini, chop up a section of it, cut it in half lengthwise to leave an exposed section, rubber band it to a rock to weigh it down, and drop it in the tank. I probably have a video of that somewhere if I'm not making sense.

With that said, he's still probably going to mostly wait until night to eat it. You're not going to have a lot of success modifying innate fish behavior... if he wants to hide all day he will. How big is he now?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Leave the lights offs in the morning and see if he will be out more when food is available.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, my BN gets a whole assortment of veggies and even some fruit. He will usually come looking for it a little after I put it in the water-I don't pre-cook any of these:

-yellow squash*
    -zucchini
    -cauliflower
    -sweet potato (the Asian white flesh one is his favorite)*
    -melons (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe)*
    -broccoli (I don't give this to mine because if you forget it the water smells too much like sulfur-death the next day)
    -opo squash* (found this in a fruit market and all of my fish loved it-not just the pleco
    download.jpg
    -winter squash like pumpkin, Hubbard, turban, butternut, acorn and his favorite is kabocha (remove the seed and some string as it can make the water foul and your tank a mess with seeds.
    download (1).jpg

Never tried spaghetti squash-but he probably would love it too-I know others use green beans but my pleco and fish aren't fans. Cucumber is a hit too-but the other courgettes have more nutrients.

for the winter squash and melons, and cauliflower I just cut a slice or two for my tank while preparing it for myself (the cauliflower I have used a bag of frozen and just thawed to room temp before putting into the tank. With the courgettes (zucchini/yellow squash, opo) and sweet potato I buy one just for him to cut up.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    ... With that said, he's still probably going to mostly wait until night to eat it. You're not going to have a lot of success modifying innate fish behavior... if he wants to hide all day he will. How big is he now?
    I don't expect to change his behavior much, I am just hoping I find something that he likes enough to show his face once in a while. He is currently about 4 inches long. He was 3 inches when I got him about 3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Leave the lights offs in the morning and see if he will be out more when food is available.
    I do. This is currently the only way I get to see him. I drop an Algae tab in the water at night before I turn out the lights. He comes right out to eat once the lights are off and I am no longer right in front of the tank. If the lights are off and I move, he folds his fins and freezes in place. If I turn on the lights, he extends his fins fully for a brief second, then darts for cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Yeah, my BN gets a whole assortment of veggies and even some fruit. He will usually come looking for it a little after I put it in the water-I don't pre-cook any of these: ...
    Thanks for the extensive answer! I will certainly start setting aside some of the above and see what he likes!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPerger View Post
    He is currently about 4 inches long. He was 3 inches when I got him about 3 months ago.
    Okay, he's just a little guy. You'll start to see him more as he gets bigger. Partially he'll get bolder, and partly he'll just plain outgrow any good hiding spots. Mine is 14" long now, and he likes to "hide", but there aren't any spaces in the tank to completely conceal a fish that size.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPerger View Post
    Thanks for the extensive answer! I will certainly start setting aside some of the above and see what he likes!
    My BN does come out with the veggies in the "day"-when lights are on. If you are lucky yours will too. Mine easily spooks though so if I see him I try to walk gently and slowly as he can both see and feel me coming.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    Okay, he's just a little guy. You'll start to see him more as he gets bigger. Partially he'll get bolder, and partly he'll just plain outgrow any good hiding spots. Mine is 14" long now, and he likes to "hide", but there aren't any spaces in the tank to completely conceal a fish that size.
    True. The slate he hides under now will only provide cover for another year or so as it is currently configured and considering his current growth rate. 14"!! Wow! I have heard they can get that long, but the longest I have ever seen is about 10". I have known that eventually I want a much larger tank... Maybe that is going to happen sooner than later!

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    My BN does come out with the veggies in the "day"-when lights are on. If you are lucky yours will too. Mine easily spooks though so if I see him I try to walk gently and slowly as he can both see and feel me coming.
    I hope so. I have seen video of Plecos that "play" with their owners, eat from their fingers, and I'm like... Yeah. No way that's happening in my house! At least not now. Maybe as he gets bigger things will change. His largest tank mates are two goldfish; a 6" Comet and a 4" Sorosa. He is about the same size and weight as the Sorosa, but the Comet is long, tall and thick. He moves a fin and the other fish move out of his way. At night, the Goldfish both chill in a corner of the tank and the Pleco and Cats have reign of the tank.