· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Transition from 10 gallon tank to 65 gallon tank

1 Not allowed!
    Hey Guys, I want to thank the forum for helping me to successfully establish a 10 gallon tank!

I have 4 African cichlids that have grown too large for the 10 gallon. I originally planned on upgrading to a 30 gallon tank, but I came across this fantastic deal for a 65 gallon tank.

I plan on adding the 4 fish from the 10 gallon and 2-4 others when the tank has been established.

I want to use my established 10 gallon tank to cycle my 65 gallon tank. I setup the 65 gallon yesterday and then threw in some of the substrate from the 10 gallon into the 65 gallon. Will that be sufficient to help cycle the 65 gallon ?

I also took the filter from the 10 gallon and swished it around in the 65 gallon tank.

Filters are in there and I plan on taking them out when I get home today. Didn't realize it would slow down the cycling process.

Lastly any tips for the bigger tank?
    Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Why do you think the filters will slow down the cycle? If they are established filters they will speed up the cycle. If you add only the fish from the 10 to the 65 plus the filters of the 10, there shouldn't be much of a spike. Be sure to add the new filter for the 65 at the same time since any filter for a 10g will not be enough to filter the 65 by itself.
    I suggest you add the new fish at the same time you add the old fish, before the old fish have time to re-establish their pecking order and territories. Even though there is enough water in a 65 gallon to dilute waste, you will still need to be prepared to do some water changes until the bacteria has a chance to accommodate the increase in bio-load.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Why do you think the filters will slow down the cycle? If they are established filters they will speed up the cycle. If you add only the fish from the 10 to the 65 plus the filters of the 10, there shouldn't be much of a spike. Be sure to add the new filter for the 65 at the same time since any filter for a 10g will not be enough to filter the 65 by itself.
    I suggest you add the new fish at the same time you add the old fish, before the old fish have time to re-establish their pecking order and territories. Even though there is enough water in a 65 gallon to dilute waste, you will still need to be prepared to do some water changes until the bacteria has a chance to accommodate the increase in bio-load.
    I am trying to cycle the new 65 gallon tank and the filters that came with the 65 gallon tank are charcoal filters. As I understand they will slow the cycling process. I did not add the filter from the 10 gallon to the 65 gallon. The filter in the 65 gallon are much larger.

Thank you for the stocking advice though. I will be adding 2-4 new fish at the same time I add the old fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the brand and model number for the filters that came with the 65?
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    What is the brand and model number for the filters that came with the 65?

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters...alue%3Dfaceted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Marineland filters have the bio-wheel that will hold most of the bacteria needed for a cycled tank. The cartridges can be modified by cutting them open to remove the charcoal. Then you can replace the charcoal with coarse foam/sponge for your mechanical filtration. Something like this, you can cut to fit, http://www.123ponds.com/12204.html?u...ttgBoCEEzw_wcB This way you can use the filter immediately along with the filter from the 10g.