· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Goldfish Newb

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Goldfish Newb

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all!

Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to goldfish, pretty please?
    I am hoping in the next little while to set up an aquaponics system using my 33 gallon aquarium. I tend to gravitate towards tropical community set ups, but given my tendency to move about a lot it's been some time since I have had it in me to commit to an aquarium. It isn't the day-to-day work that's scaring me off but rather the idea of transporting a couple dozen tiny souls when I move makes it seem unfair to them and a hassle for me. I figure that a couple of goldfish might be easier for me to manage and easier for me to take with me when I do move, but it has been a very long time since I've had goldfish around and I don't want to do it unless I can do it right.
    The last time I had goldfish they belonged to my parents, back in the day when it was a little more common to just throw a few in an unfiltered bowl and hope for the best. This isn't what I want, I want happy fish!
    So... any advice on how many goldfish I could keep happily in a 33 gallon and what species might be best suited for it? I am attracted to the shubunkins but don't have my heart set on them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

I've never kept goldfish, but many here have, hopefully you will get the advice that you need.

I do know they have very large bioloads, and need alot of water per fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

3 Not allowed!
    Shubunkins require a larger tank than 33G IMO...they are active and large growing. I wouldnt consider them in less than a 75G personally. Now your tank is very much suited for some fantail goldfish as fantails arent overly active and do use all levels of the tank. I would go for 2 fantail golds for the tank. Typically you want around 15G per each fantail as a general stocking guideline. I keep 3 in a 56G column planted tank with some BNs and other random fish I didn't have a place for...so you can keep other fish with goldfish to fill in the gaps. I would go for a canister filter as they do create a fair amount of waste but nothing like what large cichlids do. I actually find my planted gold tank to be my easiest tank to maintain. You don't have to get anything fancy a SunSun 302 off of ebay would do the job. Depending on your home's temp you may not need a heater, I tend to never let my house get above or below 72*F so I dont require one. They are easy to keep, get them on a base diet of good goldfish pellets and supplement with spirulina flakes etc. Sinking foods prevent the potential for bloat and swim bladder issues.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your advice!
    That's too bad about the shubunkins, but that's exactly the advice I've been looking for, too many places suggest only a 10g minimum for most goldfish types and that just doesn't seem right to me.
    The filtration will be through the aquaponics system (something that I will be having my more experienced friends walk me through). To my understanding it is a pond pump that runs the water through a custom built filtration set up (ultimately ending up with something similar to a planted aquarium, with the plants existing outside of the aquarium.)
    If I put two fan-tailed goldfish in my aquarium, would there be room for something akin to an algae eater? Do you have some suggestions for coldwater algae eaters? (I'm not above scrubbing algae myself, but sprucing up the aquarium a little would be nice).