· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Safe for Shrimp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first fish. We all need one. - Strider199   Good job on your cycle! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your shrimp - Silbar   

Default Safe for Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Hi!

Last week my mom got a 10 gallon tank kit from petsmart for our shrimp. We replaced the filter with an AC 30 filter. There is also some chola wood and some live plants in the tank. She wanted to move them into that tank as she feels the shrimp aren't getting enough food in her 30 gallon community tank. We used Flourite as the substrate, I didn't rinse it before I put it in the tank so the water is still kinda cloudy. My mom is worried putting them in the tank with water like it is will kill the shrimp. Is it safe to put the shrimp in?

First 15 Gallon Tank Planted....Journal
    My Blog....Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    As long as the new tank has some filter media from an established tank to provide bio filtration the shrimp should be alright. Just check the pH and such to make sure it's close to the same as they're accustomed to. If the tank is just going to house shrimp an AC 30 isn't particularly suitable, an air-driven sponge filter would be much better. Shrimp don't need a high turnover rate, just enough circulation to keep the water aerated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first fish. We all need one. - Strider199   Good job on your cycle! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your shrimp - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay. Well we do have an air stone and air pump we can put on the tank. My mom does want to put some nano fish in the tank too. But she wants to move the shrimp over first and she was worried the dust from substrate would kill the shrimp.

First 15 Gallon Tank Planted....Journal
    My Blog....Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I have an AC30 on a 10G shrimp/nano tank, and an AC20 on a 5.5G shrimp/snail tank, both work just fine, and I don't have to look at a bulky sponge filter in the tanks.

Throw some of that poly fill we talked about yesterday into the filter to clear the water....then add the shrimp...it wouldn't hurt the shrimp to add them to the cloudy water, though
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

It's not a sparkling, but you need a fish! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    My aqua clear 30 sucked up my red cherry shrinp. You might want to get a filter gaurd before adding them. Hans Aquatics makes a awesome hand made stainless steel filter gaurd. Check out there site they have a lot of products you never see anywhere else.
    They have 2 versions one for shrimp tanks/ fry and one for general use. I think the larger mesh for general use would work for shrimp too. I think the aqua clear 30 takes the 17 mm, check the product description to confirm this.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I recommend the SS pre-filters Daniel refers too, also...I recommend the small mesh hole sized ones, shrimplets are tiny when first born

http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I found that the replacement sponges for penguin reverse-flow powerhead kits worked very well for intake prefilters, but when I had a 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank going there were hundreds of them with just an air-driven sponge filter to circulate the water. I started feeding them dead water lily leaves from the backyard pond, and some hydra came along with those. I moved the shrimp to a couple buckets and dosed the tank with copper sulfate to kill the hydra, rinsed it out several times, then moved them back. They slowly declined after that, seems that the silicone absorbs the copper ions and then releases them over time. Only thing it seemed to affect was the shrimp, the mts and even the ramshorn snails kept going just fine.