· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 252 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    It is so wonderful that you are asking questions and learning before making purchases. I do hope you will b able to take advantage of the $1/gallon sale. (I overpaid for my tank, prior to joining this forum -- had never heard of this sale)

Actually, I hope you will be able to save on several things by buying the best things for the money -- and members here are happy to share their experiences to help you do just that.

One of the biggest cost-saving lessons I learned from here was to get many of the needed supplies online. I wish I would have figured that out earlier.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just very anxious to get started!!
    Your questions (and the timing of them) are terrific, don't feel bad about asking.

After you've decided on your tank size, then look around for an ACE hardware store. They sell an Ammonia that is known to be aquarium safe and many here have used that brand for cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Get a glass lid...we'll need to know the brand of tank you get to help you pick the right one.

For lighting, these are my favorite: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/

Just bought a couple of these heaters for myself, and like them alot...here's the 100W, which would be good for a 29G: http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatic.../dp/B0090I7RA4
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I will for sure look for ammonia. And I was originally going for the 29g, but people have said Angels may not like that size so with the PetCo sale I might bump up to the 40g.

So far I'll be getting the Prime, the Python cleaner/hose, and the Fluval C4 power filter (someone mentioned that earlier in this thread). I need to find a heater, thermometer, lid with lighting, substrate (leaning towards sand). Is it recommended I also get one of those bubbler things to place at the bottom of my tank?

Question about the Python... it cleans your substrate without sucking it up into the hose??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Bubblers are not needed, but they are helpful during cycling...you'll be raising your temp to cycle, which tends to deplete oxygen, which BB (beneficial bacteria) need to survive...a bubbler will increase surface agitation, helping with gas exchange in the tank

With gravity feed, the Python won't suck up most substrates, besides sand...and with sand, you just swirl the Python a few inches above the substrate to suck up waste, the sand will stay put

Here's the ammonia you want: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1307957

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the general "rule" for how much substrate to buy? I'm leaning towards sand, somebody mentioned gravel trapping food/debris more than sand does and thus harder to clean and maintain. I've read 1-1.5 lb per gal... is that correct? And then let it slope from back to front?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I think I used 3 50# bags of PFS in my 40B, but my substrate is pretty deep...2 is probably enough

Here's what I used, 6-7 bucks for a 50# bag, looks good, no rinsing required

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...5350/202314677

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

Cool

4 Not allowed!
    animated-fish-image-0509.gif

Great advice being given and I agree, go with the 40 breeder, a great size tank to start with. Start a journal (we love journals) or ask Matt (Slap) our moderator to move this the the journal forum.

Good luck!
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I called my local PetCo and they are still doing the $1/gallon tank deal. However, the only size they are out of is the 40. Which leaves me with the 29 or 55. I guess I'll just have to go in the store and compare the sizes but 55 sounds too big for a beginner. Thoughts?

Also, do a lot of you use bottom feeders to help with the cleaning of debris? Like shrimp or plecos. I've heard the pleco creates even more waste than what it's worth...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    No such thing as too big at any stage in this hobby. Bigger tanks are actually easier to maintain.
    Bottom feeders are very common in this hobby and many people keep them. One thing about them that is important to understand is they must be fed just like any other fish needs to be fed. If they are left only debris they will starve. Also remember, fish don't eat poop. Removing that is your job and why that Python is going to come in real handy.
    Last edited by mommy1; 04-26-2016 at 01:15 AM.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Page 3 of 252 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast