· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 252 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    2. I'm looking at this Python maintenance system and have a question... My tank will be in my living room... I know this comes with a 25 foot hose, so the only way to use it would be to attach it to the faucet to drain the water as well as fill it? When I'm doing my weekly 25% water change, do I need to add prime everytime I do a water change? And how much of it if so?
    I don't use my faucet to drain the tank, I just suck on the end of the hose and let gravity do the work...drain it out of my door into a flower bed...then, I hook up the Python to the sink to refill the tank.

And yes, you will need to add Prime each and every time you add water to the tank, as described above.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I don't use my faucet to drain the tank, I just suck on the end of the hose and let gravity do the work...drain it out of my door into a flower bed...then, I hook up the Python to the sink to refill the tank.

And yes, you will need to add Prime each and every time you add water to the tank, as described above.
    Thanks!! Sounds easy enough!! Also, how many bottles of that Prime would you suggest I purchase to begin with? Let's say I stick with the 29g... how far does one bottle usually go?? Just trying to get a feel, thank you!!

Also when adding new water during a water change, always make sure it's at least room temp. right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    You will add 1 ml/10G, so for a 29G, just round up to 3 ml when changing water with your Python.

500ML bottle of Prime will last you 166.66 water changes, at 1 WC per week, that's about 3 year's worth....just start with one 500ML bottle.

Get you a waterproof digital pocket thermometer, you want to match your tap temp to your tank temp as closely as possible...here's the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precisi...et+thermometer

Run the tap through the Python into the sink, and hold the temp probe in the stream...adjust temp until it matches your tank...shut off the valve, carry the Python to the tank, open the valve, and fill 'er up, while adding the Prime into the water stream from the Python.

Get a few medicinal syringes, they're measured in ml increments, makes dosing Prime a cinch...also handy to draw tank water to fill your test kit test tubes
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 04-25-2016 at 06:26 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

3 Not allowed!
    In doing your cycle you will first see the ammonia start to drop little by little. It will take a few days for the ammonia to move down at all, secondly you will see nitrites show up, they might go up heavily before the nitrates show up. Once the nitrates show up the ammonia will go down significantly and then to 0. That's when you dose the ammonia again at 1/2 the amount of the initial dosing. The new ammonia dose should drop to 0 in 24 hours. That is how you know you are cycled. Then dose the ammonia again at 1/2 the initial amount and once again it should drop to 0 within 24 hours. You could be certain that you are cycled. However, the nitrites also have to be at zero. Once the cycle is complete change the water out as Mommie said, your readings will tell you how much water to change out. Just post the numbers here when it happens and others will help out with how much to change.

1 ml of Prime treats 10 gallons. One capful of Prime is 5ml so it treats 50 gallons. Get a plastic syringe (cheap or free at drug stores) it makes dosing accurate and also helps out when you fill your test tubes for the testing kit.

As far as dosing the ammonia, there are calculators available on line. Someone will post a link to one when you need it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    1 ml of Prime treats 10 gallons. One capful of Prime is 5ml so it treats 50 gallons. Get a plastic syringe (cheap or free at drug stores) it makes dosing accurate and also helps out when you fill your test tubes for the testing kit.
    Is there an echo in here?...........

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So much great information here!!

When cycling, how often should I be testing the water? Once a day? Multiple times a day? Also when doing a water change do I need to test the water or is that not necessary since it's already cycled?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    At the beginning of a fish-less cycle, there's no need to test daily...but after ammonia starts to drop, you'll want to test at least every other day or so...but there's no problem in testing more often

No need to test a cycled tank in which fish are doing fine, unless you are just curious
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 04-25-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a heater and lighting/lid?

Also, when cycling is it good to leave the light on for the growth of bacteria, or does it not matter? I'm leaving the filter and heater on the entire time, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just very anxious to get started!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    The lights don't matter for cycling but yes, leave the filter and heater on. Nitrifying bacteria grow best between 77-86F, so set your heater somewhere in that range and it will be fine.
    Last edited by mommy1; 04-25-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Page 2 of 252 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast