· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

Default Pearl Gourami aggressive during mating...

0 Not allowed!
    I just entered a stocking list on Aqadvisor for a 75G. I entered 5 pearl gourami along with other fish in my list. It advised that the Pearls may be too aggressive when they start to breed to co-exist with some fish, specifically the cardinal, candy cane, diamond, emperor, pencil fish and black neon, which are on my list. No problem noted with congos or corys. If anyone here has a M/F mix of Pearls have you found this to be true for them? The pearls are on my second round of stocking so I still have time to change this decision after the first order of fish are in the tank.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Pearls are quite docile fish that won't mate that quickly/easy. I also would be more afraid they would be agressive towards the other pearls when they would pair up and mate.
    I've had only a pair though. Beautiful fish! Regards Aad
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

4 Not allowed!
    I had five pearls in a 55g for a long time--three males and two females. Not the ideal ratio, but that's what I had. They spawned frequently, almost constantly. And yes, they do get a bit nasty--they really don't like anyone around their bubble nests. That said, I would think that in a 75g you'll be OK. There was a lot of sparring and chasing in my 55, and the females got pretty stressed at times, but nobody every got hurt or killed. Chasing of other species was incidental. Again, I think that in a 75g there will be plenty of escape room, so I say go for it!

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I will be ordering my pearls from TWS (2") and they do not guaranty male or female fish. You can ask and they will try but no promises. So, I was thinking of either getting 2 or 3 instead of 5. I would prefer to have either 1M and 1F or 1M and 2F but what happens if they send me 2 M and 1F? She would get chased and stressed out. So, would I just be better off ordering only 2 and see what they send? My other top water level fish will be Congos and Black Neons if that makes a difference.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    2" pearls are probably too young to sex, I'm afraid

I'm with Tom, get 5
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I guess I will go for 5 then. If there becomes a problem as they get more mature I can always move a few over to my other 75G, I guess.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    2" pearls are probably too young to sex, I'm afraid

I'm with Tom, get 5
    About how big do they need to get in order to be able to sex them?
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.