· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

Lightbulb BBA Experiment. Input and advise request!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello fellow aquarist long time no speak!!!

Well i know I can always come back and get great advice or recommendations in this community.

So here is the setup where experiment is going to take place:

8 gallon Fluval Ebi tank
    NO substrate
    NO fish, I repeat NO fish or shrimp or snail or anything in the tank except Plants. So please don't freak out ~disclaimer~
    NO substrate, All plants are either in pots with substrate or tied down to driftwood and rocks

This tank is getting torn down and sent to my local fish club auction the first week of May. So I figured this will give me a great opportunity to nuke the begeezers out off the BBA that has been occupying my plants. The problem was that I couldn't find any help online on how to attack my specific situation. All BBA threads or videos are about dosing tanks with fish in it or to remove plants and deal with it that way. I figured since I already have the tank filled with water and no fish to harm, might as well treat the plants where they sit aggressively in an attempt to stream line the process.

My Plan:
    Overdose the tank with Excel and .....that is it. (any suggestions on how much is "alot" for 8 gallons of water?)

I ruled out:
    -bleach because I am using porous tera cotta pots and I would have to do water change to keep plants safe.
    -Hydrogen peroxide because plants don't like oxidizers, although the hydrogen peroxide is suppose to become harmless by means of chemical reaction with the water. I am not a chemist so i rather be safe then sorry. IF anyone has input on this I'm all eyes.

If anyone has any advice or experience please let me know. I plan to start this in about an hour. I want to double check and make sure I removed all the fishes and snails from the tank. Wish me luck and thanks for taking the time to read this post.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to learning what you discover.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

1 Not allowed!
    UpDATE:

So I found a dead fish.. I knew I was missing a guppy oh well R.I.P.

Finding a dead fish triggers an OCDish reaction from me....so i ended up doing a 50% water change on the tank even though I am never putting any fish back in the tank...guess I have issues oh well.

Going to wait two more hours to dose Excel for lights to go on even though Seachem states that it take 24 hours for Excel to dissipate so waiting is not necessary. Again I'm not a chemist so I will stick to my habits . Decided to dose somewhere between 10 to 30 mL. Still not sure of the Magic number but i will meditate on it.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your guppy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Decided to dose 10mL of Excel to the tank. As i was dosing i used a syringe to spot treat the most covered plants. I decided on 10mL because on the label it says 5mL is good for a 50 gallon tank. Even though I do not have any fish in the tank, I do want my plants to survive.

Anyways I am going to dose 10mL each day unit i see Death at the doorsteps of the BBA(black beard algae). This probably going to be an expensive experiment.....rolling the dice.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Documentation

1 Not allowed!
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The snail is out of the tank no worries
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Day 2

1 Not allowed!
    Day 2
    Dosed 10mL of Excel
    Found another snail that started running up to the water line after I dosed the tank. I helped it escape and put it in my other tank.

As you can see in the picture the algae on the side glass is turning gray. The algae on the plants has little to no change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

2 Not allowed!
    One of our members Bluewater Boof nuked his tank with excel (no fish in it) to kill algae. I think it was the same kind. It worked for him. He has not been around the forums in a couple of weeks now but you could try to PM him and see the dosage he used and how long it took.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Day 3

0 Not allowed!
    not a big difference from day 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roll the Dice!