· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is bio media a must have?

0 Not allowed!
    I am in the middle of cycling my five gallon tank (i have a thread about it.). It doesn't have biological media. It has the prefiltration media and mechanical.

Fluval External Power Filter Pre-Filter Media
    and
    AquaClear Filter Insert Foam

Do you need biological media to grow beneficial bacteria?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    So break down the work biological "of or relating to biology or living organisms" So this is where you beneficial bacteria live thrive and multiply. There are numerous individuals who only run biological media in the filters.
    If there is not biological media then you limit the amount of space the bacteria can colonize. Then ultimately limiting the amount of fish you can keep due to there waste being produced. And not enough nitrifying bacteria to convert the toxic ammonia and nitrites..
    Hope this helps you understand what it means to "cycle" a tank a little more. I enjoy all the questions your asking. You are on the way to a great fish keeper!
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 04-14-2016 at 01:25 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with @amazonjoe the only thing ill add is the a.c. Sponge will hold a decent amount of bb.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    So break down the work biological "of or relating to biology or living organisms" So this is where you beneficial bacteria live thrive and multiply. There are numerous individuals who only run biological media in the filters.
    If there is not biological media then you limit the amount of space the bacteria can colonize. Then ultimately limiting the amount of fish you can keep due to there waste being produced. And not enough nitrifying bacteria to convert the toxic ammonia and nitrites..
    Hope this helps you understand what it means to "cycle" a tank a little more. I enjoy all the questions your asking. You are on the way to a great fish keeper!
    okay umm a few questions
    1. You said not having biological media will limit the space in which the bacteria can grow right? Then will they still grow if i don't have it?

2. Im only in middle school. I don't have much allowance left due to my fish tanks. Do you think it is a good investment to get biological media for my tank?

3. What is your suggestion of a type of biological media? Would Fluval Biomax Filter Media be okay? I kind of need something that i can put in bags myself (the "bags" are just pantyhose) because i may want to use it for my twenty and put some in my 5 or 10. I can't buy the pads because you can only use them for one tank.

Thanks so much for you quick and helpful response!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    So the bacteria grow on any rough surface. But the way the biomedia is designed is it maximizes the surface area space per little ceramic piece. I use Fluval biomax myself :)

Also when the bacteria colonize in those large numbers they create whats called a bacterial slime layer on the biomedia from that they can also build upon.

Dont waste your many on to many pads but sponges like CowBoYReX said have the ability to hold bacteria because of all the (porous) holes it has.

I would also suggest quilt batting at Walmart it is super cheap!! in the arts/craft section and is a great mechanical filtration media. Just have to cut the size you need. and replace every 2 weeks.

Keep the questions coming!!
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 04-14-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    The quilt batting should be 100% polyester, and I change out mine every week.

If you have lots of live plants in your tank and it's minimally stocked, you might get by with just the mechanical filtration. But live plants can be expensive and most require very bright light to thrive. Fish eat some of them, and many require fertilization and/or CO2 augmentation.

Actually, beneficial bacteria will grow almost anywhere inside your aquarium. That's how biofilm forms on the inside of the glass and on the surface of the water. But as others have stated, the ceramic beads provide maximum surface on which a colony can grow. By having it, you can have more fish and invertebrates, providing you do regular water changes and clean your substrate and filter when they need it.

In my 65 gallon, I now have quilt batting augmented by a prefilter sponge on the end of my intake tube. The entire rest of the media box is filled with biobeads. The more beads, the better. I also have live plants.

Under certain careful conditions, you can go without the biobeads, but you limit your options, and it can be dicey. I wouldn't recommend omitting them. If money is the issue, perhaps your local fish store can provide you with some of their cycled biomedia. It will make fishkeeping much easier for both you and your fish, and generally healthier for the fish ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilred the shrimp View Post
    okay umm a few questions
    1. You said not having biological media will limit the space in which the bacteria can grow right? Then will they still grow if i don't have it?

2. Im only in middle school. I don't have much allowance left due to my fish tanks. Do you think it is a good investment to get biological media for my tank?

3. What is your suggestion of a type of biological media? Would Fluval Biomax Filter Media be okay? I kind of need something that i can put in bags myself (the "bags" are just pantyhose) because i may want to use it for my twenty and put some in my 5 or 10. I can't buy the pads because you can only use them for one tank.

Thanks so much for you quick and helpful response!
    In answer to #2, biological media will grow on a sponge, so if you get a sponge for aquarium use you can use that (other sponges for kitchen can have "Stuff" in them and won't last as long as one for an aquarium.)

You can even stick some plastic pot-scrubbers in your filter and use them to grow bacteria on-just rinse them in tank water when you do your cleaning, it is very inexpensive. If you want something more "official" buy some lava rock-smaller the better and put them in the tank. Seachem matrix is a bacteria media that is just a porous "lava" rock.

Plastic pot scrubber (should be in grocery stores, dollar stores, Wall-mart...etc. even Amazon sells them)
    download.jpg

You can get these online too, or at fish stores...fluval sells them as outlet covers-but they will work as well
    download (1).jpgimages (1).jpgdownload (2).jpg

Here is the Seachem Matrix, matrix close up and a lava rock for comparison. You can get small lava rocks at hardware stores-about 1/2-1" in size. just rinse under tap water to remove dust before you put them into you r media bag or directly in the filter.
    Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    You can even stick some plastic pot-scrubbers in your filter and use them to grow bacteria on-just rinse them in tap water when you do your cleaning, it is very inexpensive.
    If you are using pot scrubbers to grow BB, you do NOT want to rinse them in tap water, you want to rinse them in tank water.

Probably just a typo....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed a BIG typo! I was able to fix it though, thanks for catching that Matt.

Wilred, here are the images I PM-ed you about:
    images (3).jpg

images (4).jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-14-2016 at 01:07 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    This is just a question regarding sponges and filter floss. How often do most members change them out? How can you tell it has to be changed? I'm using sponge only in one of my AC filters. The sponges break down, but if you are rinsing in tank water every water change, and the sponge or floss stays in tact, they are 'clean' but discolored, why would one have to replace it? When/if it gets too blocked with debris?