· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 85 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Btw, I was playing around with the orientation of that big piece of driftwood. I can meet you all in the middle. Not a blackwater root tank, but I can try placing the piece roots facing downward. I have IALs in my tank, moving towards other botonicals. I just can't say goodbye to all my plants in the showtank just yet.

I had to wake my fishies up, so don't mind their sleepy colours or lack thereof. A pic of the whole piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    That is indeed a very cool-looking piece.
    I see why you were orienting it with the stump-side down. It looks like that way would give it the most stability. Did you find some solid balance points for it? I can't tell from the photo if it is leaning against the tank for the back support or not.

It will be a neat addition, no matter where you end up with it...
    (how many twists of your arm would it take to set up another tank?)

I did not think you were going to have to give up plants in this tank for this piece. Is there some other reason you say that? (I probably tend to crowd things a bit to much though.) Your show tank is a thing of beauty. I always enjoy looking at it.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you RG!!! Yes, it is resting against the tank. The original tall DW piece is supporting the stump piece in front, so if I rest the new piece against the back glass, I may have to add a rock to keep the stump piece in place. Idk. You all are so funny with MTS. I just can't manage another show tank, especially while I'm dealing with this sickness issue. I just don't have the room for another showtank either and my hubby wouldn't tolerate another tank out in the open. I was saying less plants because Rocksor was saying a blackwater root tank, which would be fun, and I wanted one at one time before I figured out how to grow plants in tall tanks with lowish light.

What do you think? Do you think I should not add this piece? I was still thinking about replacing the original tall piece, I don't think it would fit all together. I want to use it in this tank, but don't want to change the scape too much yet.

Roots up or down?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    If it were me, I'd not prefer to rest the wood against the back wall (or any wall, for that matter) of the tank. Purely personal preference, though.

I'm thinking the heavier portion down. Will it stand on its own that way? That is, if you did decide to add it to this tank. I do love the lay of this tank, as is...
    Also, I do like to find that balance point of a piece of wood, and would be hesitant to add something that wasn't stable.

Really, I'd hate to see you tear out existing wood that is well-entrenched.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ty Rivers for your opinion. I have left it out for now.

So I did a little 5-day vacation again last week. Remember the horrid overfeeding incident? Well, it happend again, but luckily no massive fish deaths this time. I didn't talk about feeding the fish at all and hid all the food in their containers. I guess the dog-sitter knew where the food is kept (last time I left certain foods out with each tank) and he fed all my fish NLS 1mm cichlid pellets. My tanks are a disaster. Lots of uneaten stinky food (what an aweful stank) and algae. I can't bring myself to test the TDS. Again, I'll have to take months to get these tanks back to normal via water changes.

I had to rip most of the stargrass out of this 120g tank. There was too much fungused food caught in it and it actually wilted, I'm guessing it doesn't like changing parameters. So I'll have to regrow a lot of the foreground. It's just crazy how easily things get out of balance.

I did come home to two angelfish spawns though, one of which I hadn't seen spawn in a little while, so after I get all the tanks back into balance, it's clear I should bump up my feeding just a little.

On a plus side, I found some red ozelot swords (2) that were at this LFS for a while. Both had sent runners of baby plants. I planted them in the deep tank and the runners are now growing leaves. My amazon sword did this a few years ago, and that's how I have so many amazon swords. I can't wait to grow 20 or so red ozelot swords! And I only paid $10 for two flowering plants :)

I'll get pics soon later of the state of my plants.

Now for the sad news. I put my wasting blue male angel down :( I watched him deteriorate for months and could never figure out what to do for him. Before I left, he was looking septic and stopped eating completely. He didn't even come up for food. Because I feared he'd pass in the tank while I was away, and fearing any disease or parasite would be released, I put him down with clove oil in a nice peaceful dark area.

I checked for worms as far as I could after he passed and didn't find anything. Which I guess is a good thing.

But I stll came home to a dead lemon tetra. I removed the fungused body and haven't seen any other failing fish. The lemons are very old as well, so all these unknown deaths are still driving me a bit crazy. In the last year, I lost one angel, three hy511 tetras and one lemon tetra all from this tank. No other deaths in other tanks (although the fish in other tanks are younger and more long-lived).

So since I still don't have any idea why I've lost 5 fish this year, I can't freak out and pinpoint a problem.

So going forward, I'm watching the 120g closely again now that I'm back home and not adding new fish until I feel the tank is safe.

My tank is extremely understocked at the moment now:
    4 phillipine blue angelfish
    2 hy511 tetras
    3 red phantom tetras
    1 black phantom tetra with a big ol' tumor
    5 lemon tetras
    3 GBRs (German blue rams)
    1 EBR (Electric blue ram)

Help me deal with this! Is it a good idea to refrain from restocking at this time?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-30-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the losses...from now on, take the fish food with you on vacation, I guess....or lock it up

I wouldn't add any fish until the water is right in this tank, I'd wait a month and at least 4 big WC's
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Right on! I will def tell him NOT to feed the fish. I really didn't think he'd take that upon himself, but I suppose I never told him about all the dead fish and troubles last year caused me. Man, baby plecos, young plecos, very young angels, tiny gold tetras all got 1mm cichlid pellets and lots of them!

So frustrating when there's a potential problem you can't diagnose.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah, agree with Matt-and with you. JUST SAY NO to feeding the fish while the owner is away. You don't do anyone any favors.

Sorry for the loss in fish and plants and time.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

2 Not allowed!
    Hey Kat, I was wondering where you were....Sorry for the losses.
    When we went on vacation last month, my buddy who rents from us, called 2 or 3 times to verify feeding protocol. Dogs he's done before fish 1st time.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Gosh, what an awful bit of news! To think this happened all over again!

Page 85 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast