· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 81 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor I started feeding my fish in the 120g Epsom Salt soaked pellet food because one of my male angels grew suddenly very thin with redness at the pivot point of his pectoral fins where it meets the body. The redness has diminished, but he's still very thin. He also seems to have taken a liking to the presoaked food.

I fed him the laced food for a week. I have breaked the food treatment for a week or so now, is there any issue with continuing to feed him salt soaked food? I remember you suggesting the treatment for HITH, I don't know what the issue is for sure.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    He will just release the excess epsom salt, so no issue there. Maybe that bloodfin likes the softer pellet because it is too hard for it to eat? Try soaking without any Epsom salt and see if he eats it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor Actually, I watched the thin angelfish for a long time yesterday after feeding a few different brands of pellets over a period of time to let them eat each time. He grabbed pellets (some were presoaked) and it seemed after chewing on them for a good while, he would spit them out eventually each time, not something I would have noticed since he holds on to them for so long. I agree with you, he might be having trouble swallowing. All the other angels in that tank are almost obese IMO. I'm worried this has been going on for a long time from under my eyes. Is there some kind of parasite, pathogen, or something that would cause him to not be able to swallow? Tx so much for your input. I really can't figure out what's wrong with him. Is there anything I can do to help figure out what the problem is? Like a video of him or something?

I feel he's wasting away and have no idea what to do! I really want to help him. He's only 4 years old max.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-27-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    The protozoan parasite behind HITH can reduce the appetite of fish. You might have to treat with metro and Epsom salt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, tx, I'll follow what you suggested for the Oscar in Brhino's journal. So, Epsom Salt, Metro+ (this is what I have) and focus to the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Dosing in Food

Feed the medicated food mix (recipe below) every day until the infection clears or up to 3 weeks. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.
     1 scoop MetroPlex
     1 scoop Focus™
     1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
     A few drops of water if using a dry food

To enhance palatability use with GarlicGuard™ or Entice™.
    1 5 gram bottle and using 1 scoop can last roughly 21 days at a minimum if fed once a day. Feed no more than 21 days.

When you wet the wafer with Epsom salt solution, roll it in the metro and focus mixture and let the wafer dry. I'm not sure how many wafers you need for 1 tablespoon, but you can refrigerate any extra wafers that has the metro/focus powder on it.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Although, it really doesn't look like his appetite is reduced, he still grabs pellets each time, chews on them, breaking them up, but spits out a big mouthful after a few minutes of chewing. Maybe this is a sign of his appetite being reduced? I thought he couldn't swallow or something.

How does this Hexamita parasite just happen? I haven't added anything new to the tank, only rams, and they are perfectly fine. I've had him in my tank with the other 4 angels for what seems like 3 years. Maybe two, but would I just notice it now?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    The parasite lives in the gut of many cichlids. Under normal conditions the protozoan is kept in check by the immune system. Under stressful conditions they can replicate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've was talking to my LFS guy Jason yesterday about my angelfish. I remember I had talked to him earlier about the redness at the pectoral fin/body pivot point. Thinking it may be septicemia, he told me then to keep watching my fish and if he started to show signs of wasting, to put him in his own tank (I guess to die) and prevent the other fish from cannibalizing his body.

While I was on the phone, I thought I saw this red thing near his vent. I looked for it again after a few mins and it had dissapeared. I thought I saw something similar at his vent once before, and also at the vent of one of my female angels in that tank, once before. That female stopped breeding, like all the angels in that tank, but she looks obese and gravid. I thought I saw her swimming in an odd fashion about a month ago for a few days.

So I'm still watching, looking for anything to give me a hint as to what is wrong. But I'm considering the possibility of callamanus worms as well now. I can't see anything on the other fish, no symptoms except the angelfish aren't breeding) but perhaps because the fish are well-maintained, they have been suffering with whatever it is for a while now, just fighting it off.

If it is callamanus worms, (I'm still watching for more signs to be more certain) I would probably use PraziPro since that's all I can buy here.
    @Rocksor would PraziPro work similar to Levamisole for callamanus worms where it would paralyze the worm forcing them out of the fish, and then it would be my responsibility to remove the worms via syphoning?

Would PraziPro help for Hexamita? (In case it's that one? )

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I lost 3 tetras about a month or two ago, they faded and looked slightly bloated, I could see their ribs, it was weird, like their ribcage expanded. Other than that, I only added the rams in the last 2 years. My angelfish in that tank are more like 5/6 years old in that tank, they would have to be infected for a long long time (4 years in my care) without showing any symptoms. I believe that's possible, just seems odd. I really can't figure anything out.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-28-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    you need levamisole or febendazole. Prazipro won't help if the worm is still alive. It also won't help with hexamita.

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari...ydrochloride-1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well tx for the helpful bad news lol. I'll continue to moniter this weekend as much as possible, continue with the Epsom Salt pellets, but also include frozen foods lije bloodworms, see if he's swallowing anything for sure. It looked like he kept some down today, but I'm not feeling well, so we'll have to watch later again. I'm planning a WC later, I have to be extra careful with the equipment! Luckily I keep the Nets all separate already and disinfected them after use.

Page 81 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast