· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Tx DK! I'm excited because today was the first day she came up to almost the surface of the water to feed. Previously, she was eating, but just scraps from the tetras, and she let the tetras bully her around. She seems much bolder each day. I'll be able introduce the male EB ram soon!

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Good news ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm going through a bit of a set back :( It looks like with my overfeeding, cyanobacteria has surfaced again. I thought it was done with after a blackout a few months ago. So, I've been cleaning like crazy and trying spot treatment with peroxide so far. I've been reading about using probiotics on the advice of an AC member, and want to try using this as soon as I can find the product. When I find it, I'll try to post my experience using them, it looks very interesting if anyone's interested. A new inexpensive way of fish keeping definitely interests me.

So I haven't added my male EB ram yet because of the cyano. I'm not sure, I might add him in anyway, the cyano is not horrible, but present.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Yea you cut back on feeding I'm sure and maybe increased your water change schedule? Also how long do you keep the lights on? throwing in a nice airstone will help as well.

Sound like your winning the battle though!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Joe, but the cyano is a never-ending battle for me. I have no idea what the issue is for sure yet. Unfortunately, it really doesn't seem to matter how much I clean or change water, it was like I introduced it by accident and now it's there for good. I never saw it ever before it first appeared at my LFS, but now is a regular occurance in my largest tanks! What a PITA!

I know overfeeding and a lack of husbandry causes it, and I DID overfeed for my EB ram, but I don't feel the water is anywhere close to "cyano-bad", even with the overfeeding. There is something weird going on.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-02-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I missed the light question. I keep it on for about 6hrs total. I really don't think I can cut back here. I only have 68 LED watts on this whole tank! On all together for 4 hours only.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I read online that maybe the light spectrum is adding to the issue potentially not saying go and buy a new light just to fix this issue. But maybe if there are other light fixtures laying around you can use in the mean time until you can eliminate it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I heard that speculation too. I don't not believe it, but I actually don't have other light fixtures lying around! My spectrum is below 6500k for the main fixture and the accent fixture is 10000k. In my head, the only thing I can think about when it comes to LEDs vs. flourescent is that the light is more focused and stronger. I feel it's really easy to overlight tanks using LEDs, especially for tanks like mine which are low tech. I'm not getting into Co2 anytime soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I might look into that more though. It'll be very hard for me to get rid of all my LEDs, I'm an LED-nut. There has to be a way to make this work!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    So last night, I acclimated my male EB ram to the tank! He seemed much more at home right away than she did. But he was already housed with other angelfish, so he was used to other fish. He's actually a bit of a bully, but he never came close to hurting any of the fish. He was particularly flaring at the hy511 tetras, which is funny because they are bigger than he is! When the female EB ram saw him, she immediately followed him everywhere. They flared at eachother, swimming around eachother, lip-locked slightly, fought a bit, then went their own way. I'll have to watch closely again today. For the most part, I feel there's enough room to get away if one has to, so I hope it goes ok.

I took some videos when I first released him, so one will be coming up!

Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast