· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1844

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats!...how cool is that....oh well, better late than never with the blue angels
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Tx so much! I'm very happy about this. All she needed was a bit better TLC. I thought she was over breeding, so this is good!

Lol, I've been wanting my blue angels for years! I should say my blue angels back again.

I'll still get those pinoy when they are available, but nice to see my own female blue angel is still in the game :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    They are still there! Haven't made up my mind yet as I feel really bad stealing some wigglers. She's doing such a great job defending those eggs, it's truly amazing! She has all the other angels on the other side, no one dares go near or face her wrath!
    20190830_225409.jpg

My gold pearlscale and platinum couldn't keep their eggs defended together as a pair and she is guarding wigglers as a single mother haha!

I got a better pic of the wigglers while the light was on
    20190830_224635.jpg
    They are at the back and I didn't want to spend too much time on that side bringing attention. But this is so cool!

I saw some platinum paraiba angels at the chain LFS today. They were mixed platinum, platinum marble, but I saw a few that were blushing (two stripeless genes) and I guess some of them were ghost (one stripeless gene). I really don't see fancy angelfish very often here. They were pricey at 20$ for small angels. If I didn't have the pinoy angels coming, I might have picked some up, but as rare as these angels are, and as cool as it would be to breed some one day, I'm not really into the stripeless gene.

For today's lesson (lol) two stripeless genes results in an angel without striation in the fins and without vertical bars on the body. As juveniles, the gill plate is transparent, giving the fish a blushing appearance like this
    dec15-56a32c405f9b58b7d0d0bd7b.jpg

As they mature, the gill plate thickens and it does not have the red gills anymore. Also the fish is matte and will develop random guanine deposits that shine iridescent like this
    Paraiba.jpg

But I much prefer patterns in the fins and the black bars. That's why I was moving toward blue silver from gold marble. So passing them up and gonna stick with the ones I already have.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-31-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to add a thought

I wish I could take her out with the wigglers and add her to a tank of her own, but I really don't think it work out like that.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oops I made a mistake. I raised all of these fish from egg so I know their genetics. My male gold marble in the 120g has a blue gene and my female blue silver has a gold gene. So I will get a certain percentage of blue silver just like her with a gold gene with the spawn she's guarding.

Here is a screenshot of the offspring combination chances when I entered the parents' genes on angelfins calculator
    20190831_021856.jpg
    If they are still there when I get back tomorrow, I try to steal/save some fry. I'll update tomorrow!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-31-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    That's a great pic of her gazing at the fry
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Cool cool cool! Did you get the blues yet? Those are amazing looking. And congratulations on the babies. Sounds like you have a real mamma bear in there!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! No, no new angels yet. My hopes aren't destroyed yet though.

I let nature take its course with the fry because she let daddy help protect too the next day when they were free swimming. I couldn't watch, but wanted to let them bond. There wasn't a whole lot left anyway, and I plan to set up a tank for just them when I get to it. I'm holding off because I'm a bit scared to start this all back up. I've been a bit discouraged for a bit after the worm thing. I really want to regain my enthusiasm cuz I still really love the hobby and love seeing baby grow up, but I'm questioning my abilities to do it as of late. I'm sure it will all come back when I finally do it, just trying to get myself there.

I'm very slowly setting up my breeder tanks. I have the lighting all figured out :) I'll use my Beamsworks 6500k DHL that was on my 120g! It's only 4ft and I have 6 feet of top tier breeder tank, but the light is so strong, I can hang it a lot higher to have the beam angle reach the 6ft length or close to it. It will help light up the room too lol.

Did I even mention the new light on the 120g? I got the Finnex 24/7 HLC slim. Love it! I programmed it the way I want it with color spectrum and intensity. I still have it with the 2 old lights, so still 3 fixtures on my tank.

I noticed more BBA :( But also I haven't been consistent with the water level and the spraybar output, I think it's causing co2 fluctuation. Or maybe the air stone is encouraging is growth, idk....
    Whatever though, I'll keep trying to let the tank stabilize with the new lighting and tweaking now and then.

So now for what happened last night. My filter is 9 years old, Eheim 2075. I was taking on the phone while I was cleaning it and broke off a piece I never knew even slid off. The part is called a locking device on the underside of the motor housing. It looks like a plug maybe, but I don't get its function really. I split the rubber plug part, it had disintegrated to almost nothing anyway, but I was stressed because I didn't know how the filter would work without it and didn't have a spare canister to put all the media into. So I was trying to figure out how to fix it enough just to get it going until I get a replacement part. So I used Flourish glue and wrapped the plug part with Teflon tape. The first time, I couldn't get the filter to prime properly. It seemed to only prime when I pushed the button, and the water was sitting at the bottom of the output tube, not climbing up to the output spraybar. I thought that was because of my broken locking device, and didn't want to burn out the motor, so unplugged it. Then I called my LFS to see if they had the part to replace. The guy I was talking with thought my DIY fix should work, so I tried it again later, making sure the canister was filled up with tank water first. It was already filled up, but her told me was ok to push the primer button awhile the motor was drawing. It had a hard time glowing up the output hose like before, but I was less worried about ruining the motor this time and it finally got though. It is working! Such a relief that I didn't have to dig out 3 or 4 HOB filters to fit in all the media. I was worried about my tank crashing for sure. So happy my rig worked!

And the reason the water wasn't climbing like usual was because I accidentally emptied all the water in the tube. It was just a fluke that I broke that part later when I was cleaning. I don't think it was responsible for influencing how the motor draws water afterall. It was like I took the tubes apart and rinsed them.

So I'm gonna get a replacement part for 10$. I just have to go in an order and wait two weeks. But this ordeal has taught me how important it is to have a backup plan. My Eheim 2075 is 9 years old and I got my Eheim 2217 for 40$ with media second hand, so I don't know how old it is and rubber pieces get brittle over time. So I had a peak at cheap filters on Ebay. I found a Sunsun type filter (no UV) rated at the same flow as my Eheim 2217 for 31$ with shipping! If I receive it (because I feel it's too good to be true) it's a similar design to my 2075 professional 3 with baskets and a priming button. I like my basic Eheim 2217 because of the simplicity, but thinking I might swap the Eheim 2217 for the Sunsun and keep the 2217 as an extra. It has some nice features like grey spraybar and intake instead of green like the 2217 and I'm actually missing a couple pieces like the bend part to the spraybar anyway. Plus it has a skimmer built into the intake. Not that I've seen protein film in a bit, but it's nice to have it I think. Anyway, that's that for now. I'll let you folks know if I get it! 31$ is a total steal!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-27-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    That's funny, Kat. It's always scary when a random part breaks and you don't know whether it's essential or not. :) The only thing worse is when you put the thing back together and end up with extra parts...

I hope you find your enthusiasm again. I've had the same problem, though for totally different reasons. I'm in the process of tearing down both my home tanks and taking a semi-break from the hobby. I'll still have the 150 rainbow at the dentist's office, my daughter's little 5g, and the pond...and I'm thinking a paludarium is in my future. But for now, yeah, time for a break.

I've had sunsuns going on both my home tanks, one of them for 3 years. They're a bit hard to prime, and the UV light on my 55 has dissolved its housing (!) but otherwise I've had great luck with them. Sure can't argue with the price, either. They might just be an exception to the old "you get what you pay for" axiom. I hope you have the same luck with them that I have!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Thomas :) Sorry to hear you need a break, but glad you're not calling it quits. I actually am on a new project idea, well new to me....plenum!

It's really just a void between the substrate and bottom glass to provide and area where anoxic (or at least anaerobic) bacteria can easily colonize. I don't know very much about it yet (unless it's just that what I just wrote) but something new to read about!

Thanks for your experience with Sunsun filters. I did see a lot housing replacements for the UV filter. In all honesty, I see the UV as a marketing ploy. I admit, it looks really enticing when you don't know very much about it and read the write up for it. I would have probably bought the filter just for the UV! But now I know that water needs more time exposed to the UV to do anything for parasites anyway. Maybe it would help with little green water algae spores, but I've never seen that, and my interest with UV is for the parasite and bacteria control. Also, they are not too be run all the time. Only a few hours or whatever's suggested for that model. So the one I ordered doesn't have a UV. Instead, I'd like to get a separate internal in-tank UV that could run on multiple tanks and use for QT.

Thanks Tom, and for popping into my journal, I hope to still see you around even if you take a little break cuz the learning never stops right?
    -Kat

Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185 LastLast