· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 181 of 184 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1840

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Beautiful plants!

For your above-the-tank garden, how to you have your plants supported? I'd like to add more in mine.
    I actually tied the bamboo with thread and taped it in place lol. Then I got some clear bags to fill in that space at the back because I thought I was losing too much heat in the winter. For the bigger plants I have a piece of flat plastic holding them. For the smaller plants like my spider plants and pothos, I just poked holes in the plastic bag and threaded my plants thru it. Lol! I'm so cheap! I had to wrap floss around the spider plant bases because they weren't growing roots and looked like they were slowly rotting. I think they are doing better now. I'm just learning about houseplants! I may redo it one day, but I can't see the top of my tank unless I get on a stool anyway lol!

But do it Rivers! So easy to grow nice houseplants out the tank, beneficial for the tank and nice for us too! I'm going to get more for all my tanks haha! Why not?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for sharing your methods!
    I do currently have several - probably around a half-dozen currently. I should count, but haven't lately.

Your use of the spider plant in particular intrigues me. I've attempted to start spider plants in water before - several different times, over the years. (Not an aquarium) I don't seem to be able to accomplish it. I have started them in dirt, yes... but in water, the plants rot on me.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Idk, I bought this plant called curly spider plant. There were 4 little plants in the pot that I separated and threaded thru the holes I made in the plastic. I'm not sure if they are growing roots yet, but tried the floss so that they could have moisture, but not emersed. Idk, trying it.

I saw it was one of the plants you could grow out an aquarium, but maybe it needs roots first. I rinsed off the pothos roots and it looks like they are doing fine as is in the water. In particular, that dragon plant is doing particularly well...
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I was admiring your dragon plant too! haha My son loves those. Perhaps he and I will have to go shopping for one. Some sort of dracania (spelling not quite right) anyhow - I had no idea they would do well in just water like that.

All of my pothos have done well in water, yes. I think that's the plant I started doing this with, back in the 80's.
    Also Philodendron.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 05-27-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the name haha. I just called it dragon plant lol. I got it for 2$ just before winter at this Canadian store called Giant Tiger. Didn't expect it to do so well. I had it planted in a pot in front of my patio door for a few months (didn't know what to do with it), then tried it in my tank and it took off.

Even my crotons do well growing out the tanks.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Just some thoughts......

2 Not allowed!
    I've been really contemplating dirting the whole 120g like my 90g.

Afterall, the 90g was my practice scape for the 120g showtank. I just never took it down to scape it and just added driftwood, plants, dirted containers and hills as I went. I like the scape, but I'm thinking of deep dirt beds at the back anyway. Idk, I'm not liking that a lot of the tank is pea gravel. I think I can clean it enough since I have dirted pots and containers where I can't deep siphon. But in the back of my mind, it makes me wonder how much of nitrate factory my substrate is.....

If I was going to redo the 120g, I'd have to find a holding spot for my fish. That's 8 angels and 3 rams, 4 tetras and one big BN pleco. Not too bad, but I don't have enough space to divide the fish into smaller tanks that I have. Also In the back of my mind, that's one reason I haven't added the flame tetras yet either.

The other issue is I really want to get angelfish from Angelmania.

I'm finally able to now weather wise. They'd be in my 40g until they get big enough. But now I'm unsure about the 120g. I wanted it all setup before I stock it up, but space? Is that too much on my plate?

Also, a big ALSO.....there is no live guarentee on international shipments. It looks like 3-5 business days for delivery. I asked about the 3-5 day shipping and waiting for response, but it kinda makes me nervous. At the same time, I've been wanting fish like theirs for years now. I finally have a chance!

Should I just take a huge chance? Am I being too paranoid and just do It?

Idk, I'm just getting my thoughts out, But I'd take any opinions or suggestions!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I say go for it....Angelmania is not in Canada?...never heard of it until now
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the encouragement Matt! I think I'll go for it. I'll just make sure to QT and treat prophylactically. Yeah, there's literally no where to ship fish in from Canada. Just Angelfins, and we know how that went......

Anyway, I was changing water in the 120g last night and I've decided to leave it as is. Dirted pots and containers. There's so many containers now, there's not much substrate that isn't growing plants. Plus I like the hill in the foreground. A little bit of a PITA to keep it sloped, but I like that debris doesn't collect between the glass and substrate. I can siphon all the way to the bottom and drag it up to lift sand and gravel back up. I moved the dwarf sag up higher and gave them a root tab. They just ding do well in pure gravel/Eco complete.

@Rocksor, I was wondering how long it takes to grow anaerobic bacteria. Also, how deep does a dirt bed have to be? I'm not banking on growing it anymore, as I've added loss of emersed plants, added stem plants and floating plants and started dosing a very so my plants can take full advantage and do their job at eating nitrates better. But I just want to know pls!

There are some other types of angels available again, but I'm not a fan of veil tails and I was thinking I'd rather a half wild fish instead of a domestic blue. But their blue marbles are really really blue. Maybe I'll get a mix! So hard to choose this!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-04-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    This is the best full tank shot I have to show new plants.
    20190604_205624.jpg

A bunch of middle leaves just melted from my unknown 'red' sword plants in front of the driftwood on the right side but think I know what happened. It looked like it was blocked from light for a while or something, I thought maybe the water lettuce was overgrown, but I think it actually was mechanical damage when I was repositioning the pot they are planted in. I have confidence they will grow back nicely, it'll just take some time.

The front slope is bare since I can't get a plant to grow there, so I think I'll use some small pieces of manzanita to look like tree roots or something. That would help break up the monotony.

And I have a new experiment. My new hygro araguaia took a real hit after I removed all the emersed growth, snipped and replanted. I really should have just left it alone! And I have a bunch of new plants that need to get established. I can't afford Seachem Advance for this whole 120g, so i'm spot dosing right into the substrate. I know gardeners sometimes dip new cuttings in root growing hormones, so I figured why not? I'll be able to notice if it makes a difference.

And lastly @Rocksor, I still haven't used Praziquatel or Metro on my flame tetras, but I did deworm them and had them in QT since November. I haven't lost any and they all look healthy. Do you think there's any point in prophylactic treatment like Prazi and Metro at this point? Or should I treat them anyway before adding them to my 120g just in case? I'm thinking they are ok, but would like your opinion pls.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    If you have something as fine as play sand, it only has to be 2" deep. For regularly sized gravel, closer to 3 inches. It also depends if there is decor on top of the substrate. It's all about the area getting compact due to detritus matter and no longer allowing oxygen into the area. If you get really dark brown or black detritus matter, then you have a pocket that is slowly becoming anaerobic. If you get bubbles that come up from the substrate during a siphon, then you definitely have anaerobic area.

My LFS gets wild caught fish, so I always use praziquental in QT.

Page 181 of 184 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast