· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 179 of 184 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1840

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

5 Not allowed!
    Hi friends! How much have I missed the AC!
    Well I finally have my 120g nitrates under control, they are between 5-10ppm again. It must be the floating plants and emersed plants. My houseplants are doing ok growing out the top! So impressed with them. I just used random extra houseplants. Here's a pic of the whole tank
    20190220_125703.jpg

I bought these containers for the vals instead of the clear plastic containers.
    Picture won't upload, but they are black long rectangle organizer containers.

So my story.....
    I dirted the containers and topped with PFS. I dug a big hole (removed gravel) to make room for it. The vals are at the back of my 26" high tank, so I wasn't looking forward to reaching and working back there to begin with. So after digging a hole and removing gravel, I was ready to start lowering the container of soil. My hubby said something to me, and balancing a long container in the water proved to be more difficult than I had thought! I spilled the container!!!! The sand cap filed the hole I made and soil started to escape into the water immediately. My hubby laughed and said "it looks like chocolate milk!" I was so upset, but didn't say anything because from his perspective, that just have looked really funny, but for me, I was freaking! I was done siphoning the water and the crap deep down in the gravel I removed. So the spilled soil was going to have to settle or be filtered out. When I left the tank that night and refilled with fresh water, the tank looked like white milk, a bacterial bloom like I haven't seen in years, what A disaster!!

But check out the tank the next day! Crystal clear! Just some soil settled on the plant leaves and substrate, I was really impressed. Now that's a strong biological system :)
    20190220_124728.jpg

I spent a while reaching and digging out the spilled sand to recap the container and try again. It worked the second time yay! I filled in the hole with gravel I removed and you can't even tell I added dirt back there :) I placed them at each side at the very back behind the Amazon swords. I have yet to plant them, but i'm thinking some crypt wendtii red on the left side and lots of val on the right side. Right now, the dirt is not only added to grow the plants better, but to establish some anaerobic bacteria to process nitrates. I didn't do the middle container for vals yet because I'm still trying to figure out how to hide the containers since it is not as deep there. Pictures of the back of the tank with containers
    20190219_220027.jpg
    Sorry only one pic of the right side, but you get the idea. You can't even see them.

I really wanted to find BDBS for this tank, but I can't find it in Canada. But I did find this grey sand that's gonna work just fine, so happy.
    20190219_230910.jpg

Here's a section I circled so you could see how it looks in the tank
    February 19, 2019 100443 PM EST.jpg
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-20-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Your tank looks beautiful!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you Rivers my friend as always :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Just remember that plants will consume ammonium before nitrates
    I think I finally understand what you are saying lol. Tell me if I'm right. I'm reading a bit of Diana Walstad's book.

So are you reminding me that the plants I'm adding use ammonium over nitrAte and that the nitrates already there would have to removed with WCs? And that if there's more ammonium than the plants can utilize, then nitrAte will accrue again?

I think it's finally coming down and production is slowing. I have between 5-10ppm nitrates typically, but I've started doing 50% WCs instead of 40% weekly to every 10 days depending on how busy I am. I change water anyway in the other tanks, even with 0ppm nitrate to keep TDS low, dilute fish hormones and replenish minerals, so I'm not trying to skimp on WCs, just it's piece of mind for the tanks to treasure care of themselves in case something ever happens that I can't be there to change water. You never know! Also it's much more difficult for me to change water in the 120g than a 33g tank!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Good to hear from you again, it's been a while
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good to hear from you again, it's been a while
    Matt I miss the AC so much and all my friends, but it's so frustrating fishing for all the new posts by category! Still eagerly waiting for the new site!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Matt I miss the AC so much and all my friends, but it's so frustrating fishing for all the new posts by category! Still eagerly waiting for the new site!
    Just click on "New Posts" tab at the top of the page.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Just click on "New Posts" tab at the top of the page.
    It hasn't worked for me since the last server upload :(
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    It hasn't worked for me since the last server upload :(
    Advanced search works for me atm, but I feel ya! I've been much slower on here because of the new posts issue as well.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Advanced search? I'll look for that! Miss you guys/gals!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Update time!

I've been adding some plants lately, inside the tank and above. I also have added more containers of dirt to the tank.

For plants first I bought three of these
    20190421_232126.jpg
    Well I bought one, but it was actually 3 plants. I'm pretty impressed with the new leaf color. I'm not sure how big they will grow, but they are supposed to be a taller version of the 4 red rosette swords I got a couple years ago. I'm excited to see how it does.

I got another green ozelot sword not too long ago, but what I'm really really excited about is this new stem I found at Petsmart of all places. Maybe it's been around for a while, but I've never seen it or heard of it before. Hygro araguaia! It's been in my tank for 4 days and check out the new growth!
    20190421_231941.jpg20190421_231856.jpg
    It's pink! I also read it is considered a low carpet plant! It's apparently a slower grower than other hygro types, but it seems not too bad. So excited to see how it turns out. Right now it is transitioning from emersed growth, but underwater leaves are thinner and pink to reddish. Anyone have experience with this plant?

Oh and I found two of these
    20190421_232206.jpg
    I think they are queen marble swords, but i'm not sure. All these surprises lol.

My above tank garden
    20190421_235822.jpg

So time for a FTS.
    20190421_232716.jpg
    It's subject to change depending on how the hygro araguaia grows. Also still contemplating dirting the whole foreground, but for now I added root tabs around the dwarf sag. It's obvious it does so much better with soil. But if this hygro araguaia works out, it will make a nice carpet plant or at least in sections. Maybe it will work better than the dwarf sag for this tank. It would be really nice if my angels would leave stargrass alone and I could use both for carpets!
    -Kat

Page 179 of 184 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181 ... LastLast