· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 177 of 185 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1841

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    it's more likely ammonium that hasn't been consumed by the plants or bacteria, each eventually gets full, hence why you get a reading of ammonia. Seachem Ammonia Alert would tell you for sure.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-28-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    it's more likely ammonium that hasn't been consumed by the plants or bacteria, each eventually gets full, hence why yu get a reading of ammonia. Seachem Ammonia Alert would tell you for sure.
    Tell me what for sure? If there is any ammonia/um?

So I need more bacteria and/or more plants? A sump is just an easy way to add biofiltration and grow floating plants?

Dang, I wish I knew how many Osmocote tabs I added. Mostly they are in the amazon sword pots and some at the back for the vals. Would adding sand (or a finer grain substrate) to hold the ammonia under the substrate be better? I never had this problem with dirted tanks though, so i'm not sure the amazon swords are an issue. I could easily repot them all and get rid of the Osmocote in it. The smaller rosette swords, I used Seachem and API tabs because of the short depth of the pots. Could it honestly be the tabs? My bioload isn't that high is it?

Sorry for all the questions, just sump seems way over my head. Could I acheive a similar thing with more filtration and 100 bamboo plants growing out the back of the tank? Lol

And tbh, I don't understand the adding nitrites and ammonia if I don't do the denitrification filter properly. You mentioned something about bioslime. Is that the reason?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-28-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and the riccia moss is doing well ;)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok did some quick searches to explain cons of denitrificator filters. But I don't get it all yet, more research is obviously needed.

So i'm thinking about revamping the tank now. I will repot all the amazon swords and add dirt to the background, a strip across the back of the tank. I know it works well to build anaerobic bacteria, and my plants do the best with dirt. I may add some to the foreground, not sure yet, but I'll have to empty and tear down the whole tank and keep the fish in buckets for a while I think. Not really sure what I can do. It would be better to add dirt without draining the tank. Possibly freezing it? I'm envisioning a real mess. Maybe a long dirted container at the back?

Edit: Actually redirting the amazon swords would destroy the anaerobic bacteria that has accumulated. I think I'll forfeit that at this point.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-28-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    when anaerobic bacteria dies, it will not complete the denitrification process, therefore, either ammonia or nitrite or both are released back into the aquarium after leaving the denitrator.

If denitrification is working properly you will eventually get bacterial slime that will leak out of exit of the denitrator, so you have to catch that with filter floss, and change that floss regularly, otherwise you will introduce a source for ammonia into the aquarium.

Add a sump with more floating plants or do an algae scrubber
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-28-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha tx. Does that apply to when nitrogenous gas is released from substrate as well? Does it send out a cloud of ammonia and/or nitrite into the water as gas 'gasses' out?

I think it's really only a concern with lots of anaerobic bacteria being released at once, but a bubble now and then hasn't caused any problems for my fish yet. I am conscientious not to mess with substrate too much or make any crazy changes though.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    If a lot of anaerobic bacteria dies, then ammonia can be released into the aquarium. A bubble or two is not anything to be concerned about.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok tx! I had a new idea lol, what if I buried some Matrix under the substrate where there is not much flow?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    My other idea is burying long narrow pots of dirt at the back where the vals are. I'm thinking of using plastic water bottles, cutting out one side for the plants to grow out of, filling the bottle horizontally with dirt and capping with PFS. Replacing the gravel at the back with these bottles and covering with gravel. I recently added another glass dish of soil on the left hand side of the stump, in front of the deep amazon sword glass dishes to help hide them. I would dirt this tank if I was starting over, but for now, I'll try to add as much as possible in containers because it's difficult to ever get non-contained dirt out of a tank this size anyway.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And just to let you know, I've been researching DIY sumps as per your recommendation @Rocksor. I don't think a sump is feasible in the 120g showtank due to the noise and also my stand has 6 separations and three doors. Good for canisters, but not a long sump where I want to grow plants. I have decided to add more plants as much as possible and maybe a another filter if some type. But I really don't think ammonia is a problem, I was looking for it I think. But a sump idea is what I was thinking for but grow out and nursery tanks so it's opened a whole new door for me lol.

I also looked at algae scrubbers again, but do you think that would do much in my already planted tank, as opposed to simply adding more plants like bamboo and riccia fluitans?
    -Kat

Page 177 of 185 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast