· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 176 of 184 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1837

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, @Rocksor well that stinks. I still think it can't hurt to have an extra filter running. I believe it could work under the right conditions, my aim is to acheive a negative registration of nitrate like all my other tanks and this one used to be. I may still go ahead with it, like I said, if it doesn't work to reduce nitrates, it will be more bio filtration right? The whole project won't cost very much. I didn't know anyone else DIY'd nitrate filters to run on a low flow. I saw a bamboo filter on YouTube. Kind of like cheato in SW, but packed with about 50 emersed bamboo. I'm getting tired of changing out that much water. Guess low bioload is more my style....
    @Rocksor Do you think my tank is accumulating normal amounts of nitrate? I think it's 10-15ppm with all the plants at the end of the week. 8 angels, 3 GBR, 6 tetras, 1 BN pleco.

Btw, I only have an Eheim 2075 on this tank atm.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-26-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    It will work, but it does cost extra effort. You have to make sure to collect the bioslime that exits the filter with mechanical media otherwise, you will be introducing more nitrates.

10-15ppm is about right for that much stocking and plants. Just remember that plants will consume ammonium before nitrates

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Such a beautiful tank, as always. I like the changes in the dw - the broken off part - it looks good without that high piece. Your idea to help the hills hold their shape is terrific. I always enjoy seeing your plants, as well.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rivers :) tbh, i'm not that impressed with plant growth though. The sag is so slow, but at least the reneiki is growing I guess. I keep thinking how boring my tank is because the changes are so subtle, but I don't like changing too much and i'm pretty comfortable with how it's set up.

I'm considering adding dirt to this tank, maybe at the back where the vals will grow. I'll probably leave the foreground as is because i'm thinking using dirt on a slanted ground is a bad idea, at least not unless it was contained in a pot (the way it is now). For now, I'm adding Eco Complete to the foreground and I've been removing larger gravel pieces here and there when i'm playing in the tank over the last few months. It's really starting to transform now as the larger pieces are pushed to the shady ends. I'm not too convinced in Eco's nutrient contents, but it's nice and light and holds better on a gradient. I was using gravel tabs, but not sure if they are working well. I think they work better when plants have a substate to dig their roots into and contain the nutrients (like dirt). It would be a big job to do it though, and would include moving all the fish to bins. Not exactly impossible though.......hmmmmm.....

Although I added a light on low setting, my original 10k accent LED started flickering too much to use, so I actually have less light. I think the effects on plant growth are noticeable. I also really miss the bright crisp color of the 10k white. When I eventually change the 6500k diodes, I can stand to put the fixture on high anD that's all I'll need i'm pretty convinced.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-28-2018 at 02:20 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So @Rocksor, you think my plants are consuming ammonium from the Osmocote tabs (maybe), thus leaving nitrates alone? So it's climbing to 10ppm due to fish load and plants are feeding on Osmocote tabs? Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't considered that.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    yup, sounds like the plants are getting full on ammonium

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor I guess short of revamping the whole tank, my only option to reduce nitrates is with anaerobic bacteria? I use Osmocote tabs in my other dirted tanks without the nitrate effects, it must be the anaerobic bacteria in the soil bed keeping that in check?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    add a 20g sump with a diy overfloww and put floating plants in it, sort of like a mini refugium; way simpler than a denitrator. If you do a denitrator wrong, it will introduce ammonia and nitrites into your water column.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wouldn't the plants use up the ammonium though? I guess if they did, nitrates would never happen then? Which one is more toxic, ammonium or nitrate? Testing nitrates again today. Haven't had a chance to water change since the last two 75% WCs.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Grrrrrrr! Nitrates look like 10ppm again! Can't catch a break. Should I test ammonia?

Like would it test positive for ammonia if plants are consuming ammonium instead of nitrate? If some ammonia is transformed to nitrate, there must be a over production of ammonia right?

Just trying to understand this. Can I keep adding plants until they use up the nitrates as well? Or theoretically use up all the ammonium before it is converted to nitrate? What is the purpose of a sump?

Update: ok, ammonia is less than 0.25ppm, but maybe not quite 0ppm. @Rocksor, your thoughts? Pls?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-28-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    -Kat

Page 176 of 184 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast