· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 173 of 187 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1867

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The only thing I can think of is it's not so lightly stocked as it looks. Those angels are each about 5" by 5" by 0.5". That's 12.5 gallons of water that they require each. With 8 angels, that's 100 gallons of water. Then I have 6 tetras (which is nothing I know) and a 4.5" pleco. My pleco takes up another 10 gallons. Oops, forgot about the 3 GBRs which are about 2" by 1.5" by 0.5" which is 4.5 more gallons.

So with substrate and decor, i'm fully stocked. What gets me if the 90g with a similar bioload never registers nitrate. It has to be the dirt bed. I know there is anaerobic bacteria.

It's not that there is too much accumulation I don't think, it's just my plants are not keeping up with the production. It's better I guess, but I still appreciate the piece of mind that my nitrates are below 10ppm. I don't like being under the gun to change water (say I can't for some reason). I'm reluctant to start up new tanks at this point until I fix this. I never tested positive for nitrates before, but I was able to keep stem plants like stargrass and had less bioload.

Thanks for your thoughts @Nautilus291!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-18-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Those angels look small in that tank, I would have never guess them to be 5 inches lol. Makes me want a bigger tank!

You're probably on the right track with needing more emersed\ floating plants to get where you want. Since you don't eject co2, some plants that can utilize the co2 in the air should be able to pull more nitrates out of the water.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I measured them last night with my finger lol, and I guess their bodies are only 3.5 by 3.5. So that's only 50 or so gallons. Oops.

So do they rise too high then for my stocking? Could it be my DYI Osmocote tabs? Btw, I found some anaerobic bacteria last night in there. Not a lot, but something. Thinking about adding more dirt trays to help build up the foreground bank. I did a bit of scaping last night with added DW, and still needed to create more caves in preparation for the new leopard pleco(s).

Another thought I had was I need the stem plants I do have growing to grow well. No good having struggling rotala in there. I have added light, but also lost light too because my accent 10000k LED started flickering continuously. I have to change the female attachment before I can change the driver. I think the driver is the problem anyway, and an authentic replacement driver (which is cheaply made) is 40$ at minimum.

But I have noticed my bamboo is growing! I also added a bunch more riccia moss to the tank. It looks messy since when they float around, they become separated by the filter output. Looks like shredded pieces of plant being dispersed in the tank and gently floating back up, but I really like the effect. I don't think it is blocking too much light either, so hopefully I have found a replacement for the fast growing water nutrient using stargrass my angelfish started eating in this tank!

Thanks everyone who has troubleshooted with me. I appreciate all the thoughts I can get on this.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-19-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just a little thought, don't know if I already said it, but I'm contemplating not setting up the honeymoon suites just yet. I'm kind of enjoying the freedom of less water changes and still trying to get the 120g under control anyway. Since my angels and BN plecos are still breeding in the community tanks, I might start off by stealing some freeswimmers from the community tanks. So I might order some microworms today. I want to be able to concentrate on the 120g without having to deal with more tanks at this point. Well a grow out tank for babies is not a big deal. Hopefully I can find a cool phenotype to keep in the showtank. Don't know what I'll roll with, but I can get it started to find out at least.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Grrrrrr nitrates are between 10-20ppm again today after a 40% WC on Monday. Looks the exact same! It can't go up 10ppm in 2 days right? Must have been 20ppm and now 10ppm. I've been changing out 80 gallons, 40 gallons, and still am at the same amount. Guess I'll have to do back to back to back 80 gallon water changes. So iritating wasting so much water! Not happy. 80 gallons takes 4 rubbermaids....

I sure hope after I get them down below 5ppm that they aren't actually accumulating like that. Maybe I'll have to get more bamboo plants. Hope that works. I like to preserve water where I can.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, gonna do a 75% WC tonight, and test after that. Hopefully the nitrates will be down to 2.5ppm. If not, I'll have to keep doing 75% WCs until I get there and go from there as far as accumulation goes.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    The water you are adding doesn't have nitrates in it does it? How many osmocote granuals do you think you have added to the tank? There is a decent amount of nitrates in those, so maybe there is something to that. Have you add them to your other tanks?
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Good thinking with the osmacote. That may be it.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Good thinking with the osmacote. That may be it.
    Tx. Yeah, i'm not sure how many I have added. I add them to other tanks as well, more in fact, but I think the huge dirted surface area of anaerobic bacteria helps to fully complete the nitrogen cycle (the way I think of it). Idk, that's one major difference between the 90g and 120g. The plants go crazy in the 90g too, I just didn't want to fully dirt the 120g, just the 90g is so much easier to deal with, it makes me consider it.

Well I tested nitrate a few hours after the 75% WC and it's now down to 5ppm-ish. It was below 10ppm. No nitrates in the tap water fortunately. I think it's actual ammonia that leaches from the Osmocote. Ammonia is converted to nitrate and without anaerobic bacteria, it says there until I WC it out. I figure they are contributing to the bioload in effect.

This time I wanted to test whether I got enough gas off using the Python, but with the shut off valve at that sweet spot where you get the hissing noise. I used the water almost right away and I didn't get any microbubbles :) In fact, my gold pearlscale and new male platinum daddy spawned within 2 hours of the WC.

I think it must be a combination of factors that got me here with higher nitrates. It's difficult to get them down in a large tank like this, much easier to change out 80-90% in a smaller tank once and be done. I also hate using (changing out) this much water. I will do another 75% WC once the eggs are gone (because I don't like to interfere at this point) and try to figure out exactly how's much is accumulating weekly and how normal that is given my plant load.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new spawn with your new couple. Hope they do well.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Page 173 of 187 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast