· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 170 of 184 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1840

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Really nice looking tank Boundava! Maybe once my background plants grow in more I'll try attaching one to the slate on my back wall!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks @Boundava, I remember when you were testing with Advance and the growth on the roots. My Advance test didn't go as well, but I wasn't very consistent (I suck at dosing) and I think other growing problems needed to be fixed before the plants grew roots. I saw some new root growth, but they didn't start really growing. They are better now with better soil nutrients and lighting, but I have yet to re-dirt my breeder tanks. Btw, I was trying to grow dwarf sag.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah when you have a schedule dosing the EI ferts a couple times a week, you can get in the habit of adding other things like Advance easily. Have to get back into that schedule, but I am not sure how many tanks I have in mind that are going to be taking CO2. Maybe the rainbowfish tank and the 75 gallon with diamonds and blue acara-but not 100% yet. Maybe the shrimp tanks...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I think by other growing problems, a lack of nutrients (ferts) was one of them! I still haven't started to dose the water column yet in any of my tanks. For now i'm ok with what geos without them.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Worm origin

0 Not allowed!
    So I was going over some stuff trying to figure out when the callamanus worms came into my system.

I moved my big platinum angel who passed away from emaciation from the 120g at the end of 2016. So the parasite was in my 120g before I moved him out. The last fish I bought before that date was the two pairs of blue angelfish I bought off a fellow aquarists. I bought no other fish. I'm pretty darn convinced (like 97%) the parasite had to came in with the two pairs. I didn't QT them, they were adults and I trusted the aquarist. I later found out that aquarist bought wild caught fish all the time I actually looked through my emails and found out I added the 2 blue pairs to my 120g on June 23, 2015.

So the nematode was in my 120g for exactly 2 years before the second blue angel of the 2 pairs died and I noticed a problem. I continued to lose fish to the damage caused by the parasite until June 2018.

Easily 75% of the fish that were in the 120g in 2016 fell victim to the worm. I'll figure that out later.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I wonder why it took so long for the worms to cause issues? I bet it's a relief for you to finally be past that! Must feel good to moving forward with your plans for your tanks instead of dealing with that.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Well, I just noticed another lemon tetra is very skinny. He's still eating, but I know his fate, I'd say he has a week or two left before I put him down. Not sure how I feel about that happening at this point. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't see any new wasting.

Although i'm also new when it comes to aging fish and not sure if wasting is a normal old age thing. Or if the damage caused by the worm can take almost a year to manifest on the outside? OR if it means I may still have a problem in there.....
    I would like to figure this out before I add the flame tetras I think.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, I took a few shots of the tank.
    20181212_212931.jpg
    I totally forgot to mention that I added riccia moss to the tank to hopefully help with nitrate control. I had a ton of it in the pleco growout tank! My water lettuce wasn't doing too well in here, I think it was the lack of light in the corners. The riccia stays clumped behind the barrier I have (thread) and in the light, whereas the water lettuce got pushed into the corners. Anyway, I didn't remove the lettuce.
    20181212_211859.jpg
    Seems to be doing ok so far.

Also pleased the hydrocotyle vulgaris is making a comeback. I can see little roots that haven't been munched off yet.
    20181212_211920.jpg

I took a shot from further out to show how much light is on top for the floating and emersed plants.
    20181212_213301.jpg
    I plan to run the backlight across the whole length of the tank. And because I don't have a blocker behind the backlight, light escapes and lights up the wall behind the tank. I'm honestly ok with that, and that adds light for the plants above I think. Ideally, if I wanted to start with more emersed plants, I would add a light above the emersed plants. You know, i'm really thinking about that now haha.

And I recently have added a bunch of little fert root tabs that I ordered off Ebay that remind me of Osmocote granules, but they are heavier and firmer. I added them around the rosette swords especially and around the dwarf sag sparatically. Hoping to see how they do.

And my rotala is very stunted. I'm trying to let it grow like that, but I think it may be a fert deficiency in the water column. I'm still not adding any water fertilizers. But i'm really happy that the reneiki sp.mini is actually still growing! I've already propagated it, and new shoots are already sprouting. Very excited!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-13-2018 at 03:14 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and I meant to add, the tank is 5ft long, light fixtures are only 4ft, so those corners are pretty dark 6" on both sides for the floating plants. I'm thinking of building a long skinny flower pot along the back wall of the tank, maybe out of clear acrylic, for the emersed plants....and a light for the plants :) I could easily DIY one from an LED strip. Oh and the bamboo plant is growing!

FYI, I noticed the lemon tetra was lighter in color a couple weeks ago before I noticed he was emaciated.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-13-2018 at 03:35 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Beautiful. It is always a treat to view this tank.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rivers ;)

My pleco interest has been sparked recently, and I noticed my LFS has some pretty interesting types in stock. The one that really catches my attention is the L134 Leopard frog. Even the name is too cute!
    Imperial-Tiger-Plecostomus-L134-Peckoltia-sp..jpg
    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...species_id=213
    This pleco is pretty tiny at about 4", great for smaller tanks of 30 gallons. Yes, I'll be happy if I can get them to breed, so I would try to get a female and male, but I just want to enjoy them in my 120g for now. I know they would be a hot seller with a little promotion, but my LFS already has them regularly because someone in the area already breeds them, so it's not a big intention at this point. They are pricey, but I still have a bit of a credit at the LFS ;) Thinking of getting them in the new year, maybe at the end of January.
    I'm pretty excited!

The only thing I still have to consider is if I can keep my albino bristlenose in the tank, because I still really like him in there. If they are not compatible, I might not even attempt them even though I could keep them in a breeder tank, I want them for the 120g. Also they are not mostly herbivores like bristlenose.

Other available species are L333 yellow tiger, L140 peckoltia, L260 queen arabesque and gold nugget.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-15-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    -Kat

Page 170 of 184 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast