· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum and nice to see that you are wanting to do this the right way. Even nicer yet is that at a very young age your father is teaching you/making you learn about finances. Smart dad, you will appreciate this as you get older.

That was good advice about taking your water for testing at the LFS until you can get a kit. Just keep up the good work and keep at it.

I don't know anything about bulbs or very much about plants or I'd try to help out with that.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is doing okay i guess. but as i am still a sort of beginner, i have a few worries.
    1. The betta bulbs have been growing well (one leaf is so tall it is just floating at water level). However, i noticed some stems have turned a lighter green, look weak, and break off easily. What is this and how do i fix it?

2. i took out one of the betta bulbs because there was this white film on it. I rubbed it off (but it is still in the tank) and put it back, but i didn't realize how much the roots had grown so i kind of dug a hole, put it in, and just put the gravel on the roots... Is this okay?

3. The white film is now not only on my bulbs. i found a teeny little bit on a few gravel pieces that were near the bulbs. It was also growing a thin layer on my filter intake (but i brushed it off with a toothbrush in my sink).

4. As i still do not have test kits. I do not know if the tank is cycled yet. What do i do?

5. How much fish food do i put in there to create ammonia for the bacteria to eat?

6. Do i gravel vac my tank during cycling?

7. do i do water changes while cycling? (i haven't done any so far, ive just added in more water when the water level went down.)

Thanks for your help if you answered the questions! I would greatly appreciate it if you posted cycling tips and how to care for bulbs! thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC - Slaphppy7   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   This one's on me... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Regarding your #2, you should be fine with that. as long as the roots can grasp you should be fine.
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilred the shrimp View Post
    The tank is doing okay i guess. but as i am still a sort of beginner, i have a few worries.
    1. The betta bulbs have been growing well (one leaf is so tall it is just floating at water level). However, i noticed some stems have turned a lighter green, look weak, and break off easily. What is this and how do i fix it?

A nutrient deficiency
    http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/tips-and-...t-plant-health

2. i took out one of the betta bulbs because there was this white film on it. I rubbed it off (but it is still in the tank) and put it back, but i didn't realize how much the roots had grown so i kind of dug a hole, put it in, and just put the gravel on the roots... Is this okay?

Yup, should be fine, BTW the while film is bacteria and a good sign your tank is on the right path to cycling

3. The white film is now not only on my bulbs. i found a teeny little bit on a few gravel pieces that were near the bulbs. It was also growing a thin layer on my filter intake (but i brushed it off with a toothbrush in my sink).

See above, a bacterial bloom is common when cycling.

4. As i still do not have test kits. I do not know if the tank is cycled yet. What do i do?

Until you get a test kit you can take a sample of the tank water to a local fish store to get it tested.

5. How much fish food do i put in there to create ammonia for the bacteria to eat?

I have not cycled a tank this way but if this is a 5 gallon, I wouldn't do more than a pinch-crushed up. After 4-5 days get the water tested and if you don't see any ammonia then add another pinch.

6. Do i gravel vac my tank during cycling?

you should not do anything when cycling without fish-no cleaning or water changes. if you loose water from evaporation-then you should add some water with a declorinator/water conditioner as the chrlorine/chloramine will kill any good bacteria you are trying to grow.

7. do i do water changes while cycling? (i haven't done any so far, ive just added in more water when the water level went down.)

see above...no water changes until you are cycled.

Thanks for your help if you answered the questions! I would greatly appreciate it if you posted cycling tips and how to care for bulbs! thanks!
    Tips for the cycle; is to be patient and to get a testing kit for yourself.

Tips for the bulbs; is to keep on what you are doing and if you can to get a fertilizer for the tank, something like Seachem Flourish will help them out since the tank is new.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are cycling using fish food, that white stuff you are seeing on the gravel, could be fungus from the uneaten food. A bacterial bloom usually will make your water appear "milky".

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Learn something new-when I was cycling I got slimy stuff (snot) all over my DW and assumed it was bacterial bloom, water was also cloudy at the time. lean something new all the time.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Tips for the cycle; is to be patient and to get a testing kit for yourself.

Tips for the bulbs; is to keep on what you are doing and if you can to get a fertilizer for the tank, something like Seachem Flourish will help them out since the tank is new.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    wow thanks a lot. But could you repost the link. i can't click it. But really, THANKS! :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    If you are cycling using fish food, that white stuff you are seeing on the gravel, could be fungus from the uneaten food. A bacterial bloom usually will make your water appear "milky".
    so the white stuff isn't good?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If it is fungus, then it isn't good, you are correct.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    If it is fungus, then it isn't good, you are correct.
    do you know of any way to get rid of it? I always brush it off, but it always keeps on growing back...