· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Five Gallon Adventures

1 Not allowed!
    Okay. So basically when i started this hobby i got a five gallon tank and was going to keep two guppies in there. (Bart and Meko) They had babies, but there were only two so i let them stay. Then my aunt was going to toss out her twenty gallon tank that she used for her tortoises. :0 I instantly grabbed the chance. I now have a five gallon, a twenty gallon, and a ten gallon (the tempting 1$ per gallon is too much to avoid). But back to the five gallon. Basically i wanted to try breeding RCS so i bought four. They are receding in my twenty gallon until i get the 5 set up again (i drained it after Bart and his children moved to the twenty gallon).

I never cycled my twenty gallon (i didn't know what that was at the time), but somehow the white bacteria cloud still came and the water is perfect?! Anyways, i want to try cycling my five gallon. However, i don't have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (i only have it for ph). Being in middle school, i can't exactly buy it on my own. So i added the ammonia (using fish food), and it's been a week. I also have some filter stuff from my twenty gallon in my five gallon (I don't know why i did that, but i thought, why not? it might help.) I am trying to finish reading this really hard investment book (for college people) so i can earn my test kit. It may take a while (probably 2 weeks). (I could very easily just read through it, but i have to explain it back to my dad so that is the problem.)

Anyways, i am starting this thread because i usually check up on this sight when i can so i want to start posting updates for other people's entertainment. (and for people to post cycling tips because i am really newbie in that field) Btw, how long do you think it will take to cycle my five gallon? what about my ten gallon?

Anyways again, i will try to post pics and update on my five gallon. But im not so sure about pics because it's a big hassle to get the pictures on my computer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

4 Not allowed!
    Let me just say that shrimp need a cycled tank to survive. Now the old train of thought was to introduce fish into the tank to help get the cycle going. A Lot of those fish didn't make it because the ammonia built up and killed them. The humane way is to get the beneficial bacteria to grow using ammonia, fish food, etc., to grow that bacteria.
    Your choice of using filter media from a cycled tank is right on the mark. The bacteria is already in the filter media ready to convert the ammonia, nitrite to a less toxic ingredient like nitrate. Adding the fish food will keep that good bacteria alive as it needs food, but don't over do it. As you do not have a test kit at the moment we do not know what the water parameters are but your local fish store can check this for you if you bring a water sample in. Just let them know your cycling your tank and before you buy stock ( from them), you want to make sure your tanks ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 ppm.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    Let me just say that shrimp need a cycled tank to survive. Now the old train of thought was to introduce fish into the tank to help get the cycle going. A Lot of those fish didn't make it because the ammonia built up and killed them. The humane way is to get the beneficial bacteria to grow using ammonia, fish food, etc., to grow that bacteria.
    Your choice of using filter media from a cycled tank is right on the mark. The bacteria is already in the filter media ready to convert the ammonia, nitrite to a less toxic ingredient like nitrate. Adding the fish food will keep that good bacteria alive as it needs food, but don't over do it. As you do not have a test kit at the moment we do not know what the water parameters are but your local fish store can check this for you if you bring a water sample in. Just let them know your cycling your tank and before you buy stock ( from them), you want to make sure your tanks ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 ppm.
    Okay thanks! :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Update: Not much has happened. I took out the betta bulb and put in three new ones i just bought an hour ago. I hope they grow. I really didn't do anything special, i just plopped them in. (is that how your supposed to do it?)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Question: I have the 3 bulbs in my five gal, but the five gal has nothing in there. Should i move it to my twenty gallon or keep it in my five gallon? The twenty gallon has 1 ghost shrimp, 1 amano shrimp, and a hoard of breeding guppies. (and it is cycled)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Two of the bulbs in my five gallon have started growing! Im so excited this is the first time ive successfully had betta bulbs sprout! The third one had a lot of white stuff on it. All of them had the white stuff, and two of them grew. Plus, the third one isn't squishy yet so even though it looks like it won't sprout, im going to try. I have a question though: I don't want to have the third one in my five gallon until it sprouts (and even still i might put it in my betta's home). So the question is, can i, and should i, keep the betta bulb (which is in a separate container now) on the window sill. I heard that they need a lot of sunlight, and my window sill is quite bright. However, as i live in LA, it can get quite hot, so can i and should i keep it on the window sill, or next to the 5 gallon (which is a few feet away from the window, which i have the shutters open on.)?

Basically, can i keep the betta bulb in a separate jar on a sunny window sill?

Btw, if you read this thread, THX I APPRECIATE IT!
    Last edited by Wilred the shrimp; 04-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    umm if you have authority to move threads, can someone move this to aquarium journals? I just now realized that there was a section like that. I started it out with cycling, but i think this is more of a journal. thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Done.............
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Done.............
    yay thx!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You are welcome.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers