· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Dovii Cichlids

Default Dovii Cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone here have any experience with these cichlids if you could you give me an idea of how fast do they grow and share your experience with them.. Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for giving Sake a chance. - gronlaura   because you took in such a special needs cat. love! - bethyMT   Happy Birthday! - KingFisher   Happy Birthday Jen. - Strider199   Merry Christmas - Cliff   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Growth rate is dependant on various factors including genetics, diet, temperature, water quality, etc. They do grow quickly up to an 1" per month for the first year then this slows somewhat over the next year to .5-.75" per month. Slowing again once the fish hit 14". Dovii get huge males can easily hit 18" in the home aquarium where females top out around 14". Bare minimum for a male for life is a 5 ftx2ft tank. This is why I went with a Jag; it is very rare to see an adult male over 13" and a 75/90G is doable for them for a semi-permanant home.
    3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say that the bare minimum for a single male is 150g (5'x2'). That's way too small for an open water predator. I would go at least a 180g (6'x2') grow out tank (~3 years), and once it hits 16" total length, start saving up for a 96"x30"x24" (30" front to back) for 10+ Years.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply they are currently housed in a 125G but I have a 180G African cichlid tank that after they get so big I'll transfer them too

Default I was wondering

0 Not allowed!
    I have Dovii cichlids and wanted to know if they would get along with arowanas

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Do not do it. The arowana will be meat once the dovii get aggressive. It's not unusual for dovii to be passive until they hit ~10", and the kill switch for territory turns on.

Arowanas need 8'x3' minimum once they hit close to 2 years of age.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Dovii are brutal to equipment in the tank when they get over 12" - pipes, heaters, etc. Is the 180g equipped with an overflow?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I have merged these two threads, since the subject matter is the same.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Dovii are brutal to equipment in the tank when they get over 12" - pipes, heaters, etc. Is the 180g equipped with an overflow?
    Why of course