· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the cycle - Slaphppy7   To the tank of Dreams, sorry it slipped away. - Strider199   

Default First ever fishless cycle!

1 Not allowed!

And here we go. I need to add ammonia yet but wanted to post first. This is a 10g that came as a kit with filter included. I bought Fluvall Biomax for filter, we have a 50w heater, air stone, Prime was added to treat water n I'm ready to get cooking n I hope it goes fast because Bob the Betta doesn't feel well.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Jane Doe; 04-09-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

because you are going to need it with the new baby - Hockey nut   Thanks for the rep! Sorry about your losses :( - Silbar   I love your new butterfly garden1 - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    It looks pretty. We have that same gravel.
    My 10 year-old's 29 gallon FW tank
    thick lipped sunset gourami, von rio tetras, glowlight tetras, neon tetras,
    platy, phantom tetras, rummynose tetras, otos, assassin snails
    5G Frog Habitat
    3 African Dwarf Frogs, nerite snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Your'e almost there...congrats on your first fishless cycle - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Just make sure you use pure ammonia with no scents or surfacants. I almost made this mistake when starting out. The only place I could find it was at an Ace hardware.

I would suggest getting an API master test kit. I have been testing my aquarium every day for the past month plus now and the kit lasts forever.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the cycle - Slaphppy7   To the tank of Dreams, sorry it slipped away. - Strider199   

1 Not allowed!
    I have all of it JT. I read your whole thread last night at work. I have a thread on the Intro board for some background information for you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I added first dose of ammonia at 1.2ml. I'll run test results tomorrow when I get off work. My heater is set at 88°. Figured I'd crank her up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Your'e almost there...congrats on your first fishless cycle - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    It has taken a lot longer than I thought it would so make sure you have plenty of patience just in case. Good luck with the cycle sounds like you're off to a good start. You are in great hands on these forums.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I read how you stalled temporarily n stuck to it. I hope mine goes fast!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah I hope yours goes much faster! My tank is almost there so my son is really getting excited after being disappointed for the past couple of weeks. It's really hard to explain to a 3 year old why we cant get fish in a tank full of water

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
    I added first dose of ammonia at 1.2ml. I'll run test results tomorrow when I get off work. My heater is set at 88°. Figured I'd crank her up.
    That amount of ammonia will get you up to around 3 ppm of ammonia concentration, assuming the ammonia you bought is around 10% ammonium hydroxide and water...can you post a link to the brand/kind of ammonia you bought?

How will this tank be stocked?....just the betta?

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It's janitorial ammonia from my hardware store but does not have a percentage nor ingredient label. It does not foam n that's why I bought it. I used the calculator to dose it. It said 1.2 ml for 10g if the ammonia was 9.something percent. It wasn't at 10 percent n bottle doesn't say so I left it alone. We'll see what it reads tomorrow cuz I'm at work right now.
    Last edited by Jane Doe; 04-09-2016 at 11:29 PM.