· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need opinions and advice on selective guppy breeding.

1 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of getting into breeding a strain of guppies solely for my personal enjoyment, but I figured it would be good to run the idea by some people that know more than me for a sanity check.

I picked up a trio of guppies from petsmart to start with; one blue fantail male, one blue female, and one gold/blond female. Both female were pregnant, one dropped the day after I got her and I'm still waiting on the other to drop.

My goal is to breed for small size and have fun with trying to get some random petsmart guppies to breed true to their colors. Patterns I assume don't matter as much because they are all solid colors, unless the females were prehit by guppies with patterns.

Would breeding for smaller size introduce problems? I'm not trying to go for under 0.5" in two generations, just a slow reduction in size over time getting them down to around 3/4"-1". As for having a blue male and blond female, which color would be recessive and dominant? I assume blond is recessive and I could get around that by breeding once then line breeding back to blond and continue that strain separate from the blues correct?

I am in no way trying to win ribbons with these guppies, I just figured it would be neat to have a different strain than what is available pretty much everywhere. Opinions and advice are welcomed and appreciated, I'd rather be told that this is a stupid idea than spend months of work to find out for myself.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never been lucky enough to find blue guppies but I wish you luck! I'm not sure about the size issue, but I found this webpage that discusses the dominant and recessive guppy genes:
    http://guppyfishcare.com/breeding-guppies-color-shape/
    As the page says:
    Here is a run-down of some of the basic guppy colors and the gene traits that enable them:

Gray: Dominant
    Bronze: Recessive
    Blonde: Recessive
    Albino: Recessive
    Lutino (a yellow gene mutation): Recessive
    White: Recessive
    Silver: Recessive
    Reds and blues are commonly seen guppy color schemes, but there is not any one definitive answer as to whether they are dominant or recessive!

This is because there are several different gene combinations that are responsible for producing blue or red colors. The color will depend on which of these combinations are in play- something that you can only find out through trial and error!
    I can't confirm this from experience, but I hope it helps!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    My only advice is that 1) you'll need multiple tanks for this project and 2) make sure you have a plan for those guppies you're going to cull, i.e., the ones that don't fit into your breeding experiment. I once bought 2 guppies. I then had hundreds. I am now guppy free.

It can be lots of fun, though, if you're willing to do the work.