· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    So, for kicks and giggles, I decided to raise my powerhead a tad out of water so that it draws in air and gasses from the atmosphere. My first thoughts are I'm adding oxygen, but the earth's air is comprised of 78% nitrogen. What does this mean? Am I adding nitrogen? I don't think I can test for this since my plants use up nitrogen immediately.

Anyhow, the BBA is receding even more! I read something about heterophic bacteria being able to live in anaerobic conditions (ex. in the substrate). It is possible for the heterophic bacteria to not have enough oxygen to process ammonia once it is released into the water column via poking the substrate. Idk, I didn't read the whole thing, but gas exchange was one way to battle BBA according to this thread I read. I don't take everything I read as fact, and I didn't read the whole thing by a longshot yet, but the added atmosphere air has made a big difference in just a week or so.

Also a local aquarist swore by adding an airstone near any algae that occurs in the aquarium. He claims that it totally rids the tank of algae. So I tried it.

This is part of the thread I read after I tried it in my own tank.
    https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/....38375/page-21
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That is very neat have to try it on the bba.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    So, for kicks and giggles, I decided to raise my powerhead a tad out of water so that it draws in air and gasses from the atmosphere.

Anyhow, the BBA is receding even more! I read something about heterophic bacteria being able to live in anaerobic conditions (ex. in the substrate).
    How wonderful that you are seeing such noticeable results, and so quickly!
    I think that mindful tinkering is a valuable way to learn more -- thank you for sharing your notes and thoughts as you go. I learn a lot from your tinkering.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks ladies! I'm glad to help and happy you learn something from my rambles Rivers :)

I may have accidentally exagerated my algae receding observations, but my rotala is 100% cleaned up for sure, and I'm 70% sure there is less BBA on the DW and substrate. The center DW is almost BBA free :) Certainly something that doesn't bother me anymore, I actually like the look of 'controlled' BBA, as long as it never impedes plant growth, it looks nice and natural.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I actually like the look of 'controlled' BBA, as long as it never impedes plant growth, it looks nice and natural.
    Very much agree with this. I'm happy for you that you are achieving this balance.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @RiversGirl Thank you so much
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Check it out!!!!!

I'm so excited, idk how common this is.......my broadleaf crinum calasmistratum sent up a flower :) It hasn't bloomed yet, and I'm not sure if I should leave it a space to emerge, or let it flower under the glass canopy to receive more moisture? I'd hate to dry it out! And can I possibly get some seeds?

The flowering happend while I was away. I came home to a tall beanstock lol.

This tank was overfed and I haven't had time to WC, just a quick cleanup in all the tanks. I'm not sure what would have triggered the crinum I've had for years to flower, but it was the most exciting thing I came home to last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That is super neat, I always get excited when my plants bloom. I usually just leave them under the glass, but yours look like they are busing out.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, there's not that much space between the water's surface and the glass canopy. For now, I gently placed it back under the glass. So this is a common occurance? Do you know what type of plant that is for sure? I couldn't find any broadleaf crinum calasmistratums online. Also, is it possible to propagate? I always wanted more of these expensive plants!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure but I always thought it was an Aponogeton boivinianus

download.jpg

But I think you showed me the base was more like the crinum, so maybe a Crinum natans?

crinumnatansfloweringatpatrickblanchomefeb2016.jpg
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast