· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Setting up a marine aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys I've been looking into setting up a marine tank and I have a 200l tank that was used for tropical fish does anyone know Wether it's possible to convert it from tropical to marine??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - crf8   

1 Not allowed!
    I am no expert but assuming you clean it, should be no problem. If this is your first aquarium I suggest you spend a lot of time reading and learning on this website.

CRF low tech 55g FW
    Florida

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

2 Not allowed!
    Yup it can be done. I did it with my 55 gallon. As stated above clean it. I used table salt to scrum all the glass. Starting a saltwater tank isn't hard but keeping it thriving is a bit of work. Read up my friend. Cliff has a lot of sticky's on the basics.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Although I only have freshwater, I sometimes like to peer into this saltwater forum just for the interest of it.

Years ago, I kept a coldwater marine tank with local tide pool creatures (had to get a collectors permit through my state to legally do this), and a tropical marine tank. I also kept freshwaters, both tropical and cold.

There isn't that much more to keeping a marine tank -- a few more parameters to keep track of, such as salinity, and some of the creatures are a lot more sensitive.

Instead of mixing up artificial seawater (such as using "Instant Ocean"), and having to add electrolytes, I lived close enough to a public aquarium that I was able to fill plastic jerry cans with natural filtered seawater directly from their tanks (and initially from the ocean). It was free and the public was welcome to do so. I transported these home and used this natural filtered sea water for my water changes. Since it came from the ocean itself and had been through the Scripps Aquarium filtration systems, it was pretty much ready to go. It had all the nutrients the creatures needed without having to add extra. I still had to be mindful of the parameters and maintain balance.

If you live near a public aquarium and they will allow you to do this, it should create a much more natural environment for your marine creatures. Just make sure that any containers you hose seawater into aren't made of metal. You can store the unused seawater for a time, if tightly lidded and kept at normal temperatures. After awhile, ocean water will corrode metal jugs, which is why you should only use plastic.

It still pays to research the creatures you intend to keep and learn as much as possible about their needs.

Good luck with saltwater. A marine tank can be extremely beautiful and richly fascinating.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.