· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Jenn. I appreciate this info and feel better about moving them. Hopefully I'll have an equalizer when it comes to algae. Both the 30 and the 15 are currently in rooms with a LOT of light including southern light. The new 'fish' room has only a north window and while it will be open to south light (open floor plan) that light is a long ways away. So maybe with harder water but less light the tanks won't have big algae issues.

And yes, I hated to part with the 90. I worked so hard on that tank and fought so many issues. It's been a fixture in my life for almost 4 years now. It's been a dream ever since I reset it, rehomed the SA cichlids and added the rainbows and roselines. No algae, plants grow well and the fish are so beautiful and zen. Honestly, just didn't have a good place for the big tank in the new digs. They're in a very good home now and the guy who bought them is so happy that I'm good with letting it all go. I considered giving up the other two tanks and maybe starting up again later, but the grandkids (who will be 5 minutes away no instead of 2 hours) had a fit. Funny thing - so did the hubby. He's gotten attached :o)
    Last edited by fishmommie; 04-10-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    Understand very much I went tankless in my new place for about a year. My parents actually bought my former house and kept my fish(still have some of them), my mom also moved my old 150G to her office. The break was nice...and I started slowly accumulating tanks. Unfortunately my new house is 1/3 the size of the old one and don't have room for multiple 6ft tanks anymore. Thus Ive piled on the 4ft setups...unfortunately run more gallons now than in the past

Our hobby takes different shapes over the years as time, health, finances, and space change...I am sure what you are keeping now will be very much enjoyed. Who knows one day you may go back to SA cichlids and a large scape...with this hobby who knows what you'll get yourself into.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    It's funny. When I sold the 90 and realized the guy who bought it actually wasn't as up to snuff as I had hoped, I started feeding him information. fortunately, he is a sponge and really wants to learn + he's very smart. It was during the process of helping him set up the tank at his house that I realized how much 'fish knowledge' i had :o) All thanks to the AC and folks like you and nearly 5 years of experience. that's when I realized I really want to keep the other 2 tanks. It would be a shame to have all the information and know-how that I have now compared to when I started green and not use it. And I would miss it, that's for certain. And again, because of the help of the AC, my 30 and 15 are beautiful tanks. full of color and movement and they're healthy and green. like living art. everyone comments on them. Sadly, most say they never see aquariums this clean which means there are a lot of poor fish out there struggling with dirty water and who knows what.
    anyway, my good experience with my fish is a direct result of the AC and I'm so glad I found it when I first started.
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you found the 90G a good home, Cindy

Been missing you 'round here, but I know you've been super busy
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap. I've been missing the AC and you guys too. Just too much to do these days .... Which is a good thing I guess :o)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Sure it is..."idle hands...", and all that, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    It is also amazing how much you lose by not actively participating in the hobby for a stretch of time....I admittedly have had to re-teach myself a few things since my year hiatus. Fortunately it comes back quick.

Sadly you are correct on poorly maintained aquariums being the norm. This hobby as a whole is poorly maintained IMO...I have struggled in just finding healthy fish which survive QT in the last 2 years Ive been back. Unhealthy parasite ridden domestic fish are the norm these days. I dont' know if memory just remembers what it wants but Ive kept fish on a fairly serious level since I was 11...this year will make me 20 years in the hobby; and it just seems that you could find healthy fish more often back then. Instead now I have to QT everything and do prazi pro and metro+ treatments constantly.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons