· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Gallon help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    For stocking information, like how many in what size tank, this is a good link. http://aqadvisor.com. You put in the gallons of your tank and the size of your filter and then what fish you want to stock and it tells how much of your tank space and filtration is used up. It is just a guide but a great starting point for beginners. I used it a lot when I was first setting up a tank and still do.

The site also gives information about compatibility or things to watch for if trying to put certain species together as well as what temps and pH the stock you are considering are compatible with.

According to the site you can put in 12-15 neon tetras depending on what kind of filter you have. I put in an Aquaclear 20 which is minimal for that size tank.

Listen to the advice you get here because all of us were rank beginners at first and made lots of mistakes. Learn from those mistakes so you don't have to make them. Mistakes in this hobby can be expensive. If funds are limited, you don't want to throw money away buying fish that won't work out and end up dying or getting very sick.

Sue is right about a small tank not being real suitable for aggressive fish. Most aggressive fish need room to roam and hunt. One aggressive fish you can get is a pea puffer, but I think you can only have one of them because they will attack each other, but you might want to check up on that. They are very cute little fish and quite aggressive. Even though they are a very tiny fish, about an inch full grown it is still suggested to have a larger tank.

Keep reading and keep asking questions and research all you can.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    If you like neon tetras, consider green neon tetras. A little smaller, even, and in my opinion a much prettier fish. You could have a school of 12 of these, and even add about 6 dwarf cories - either Habrosus cory, Hastatus cory or pygmaeus cory (Just pick one species). That would be a nice tank, provided you have adequate filtration. Add some driftwood and live plants, maybe an amano shrimp or two.