· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    A good store will take in fish. They may not offer much if any money. Maybe store credit. It helps them build a good working relationship with the customers. Frankly I'd be concerned about a fish store that said they'd euthanize anything brought in.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I made another post but I'll try to show it again here to see if anybody can help.

This little dude just lays around all the time. Turning dark blue/black on his bottom fin. He's lazy. Just lays around. Goes up for air, swims a little, then just lays down and gives up on everything. Any ideas? Just used a little Tetra test strip in the tank, zero nitrite or nitrate, ppm/kH about 150, ph 7-7.5, GH medium hardness, 78-82 F.....

Is this just because he doesn't like the small tank?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It's probably because your tank isn't cycled. The water is poisonous to fish when it isn't cycled and they can and will die. You are supposed to have zero ammonia and zero nitrites. The fact that you have zero nitrAtes shows that you don't have your cycling bacteria at work and your fish is paying the price. Trust me, I've been there.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariss View Post
    It's probably because your tank isn't cycled. The water is poisonous to fish when it isn't cycled and they can and will die. You are supposed to have zero ammonia and zero nitrites. The fact that you have zero nitrAtes shows that you don't have your cycling bacteria at work and your fish is paying the price. Trust me, I've been there.
    Well crap.... Trying to find a LFS to take care of these so I can fix the tank and eventually get proportionate fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Do waterchanges in the mean time !!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    All critters have been donated to a lfs and the tank will be emptied of the remaining water and brought home for a pac man frog. I think I will do some more research before attempting anything else.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Good for you, and good for the fish.

The hobby is greatly rewarding, but research first before you set up a tank, I wish I would have....MANY of us have been there, done that, and learned the hard way that fishkeeping requires a bit more than what the local fish shop (LFS) may tell us

Their job is making $, first and foremost...and there's alot of misinformation out there

But we LEARNED, and grew, from the great help from this awesome community of helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable people

To have a look at how I started out, exactly 3 years ago today, have a look at the 10G Journal in my sig below

The people here taught me everything I know, and they will teach you, too, all you have to do is ask.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kopexx View Post
    All critters have been donated to a lfs
    You did the right thing. I do hope you will continue to learn and grow in this delightful hobby we all enjoy. See ya around the forum!