· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default replacing plants with sponge media

0 Not allowed!
    My plants all recently (the fake ones) got destroyed (plz don't ask how). I have marimo balls to supply my shrimp tank with the stuff thing (i am attempting to breed RCS in my five gallon). I don't think that they will provide a good hiding place though. Can i put a block of sponge filter media to supply baby shrimps and young shrimps with a hiding place?

My worry is that it will be hard to clean due to the holes and me worrying about killing my baby shrimps in there. Do i even have to clean it?!

I want to know if this is okay. (this tank will be RCS only so no fish will get stuck in it)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes you have to squeeze the sponge out every now and then because it will become clogged. The frequency will depend on how much waste is on the sponge.

You could add the powder form of Rid-x septic cleaner, which will have bacteria to clean the sponge. The dosage is roughly 1 teaspoon per 25 gallons every week.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Yes you have to squeeze the sponge out every now and then because it will become clogged. The frequency will depend on how much waste is on the sponge.

You could add the powder form of Rid-x septic cleaner, which will have bacteria to clean the sponge. The dosage is roughly 1 teaspoon per 25 gallons every week.
    But can i even use the sponge as a plant replacement?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on the shape of the foam...if its a foam block then no real "hiding spots".
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Toss some moss in there - Christmas moss is good, or subwassertang. It's not pricey and mine grows like a weed. I have to trim regularly. I don't even have it tied to anything. It just sits on the bottom of the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    There's also lots of artificial deco that looks nice, and will provide nice hiding places for shrimp

https://www.google.com/search?q=aqua...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    Cherry shrimp don't need plants or sponges for the babies to hide, they don't eat them. As long as there aren't any fish or hydra in the tank to eat the babies they'll be fine. An air-driven sponge filter is helpful for collecting debris and providing biofiltration. If you really want to provide a good environment toss in some dead leaves for them to eat. Back when I kept cherry shrimp we had a small pond in the back yard, and grew water lilies in that. I'd put dead water lily leaves from the pond into the 10 gallon shrimp tank, and between the shrimp and snails a leaf the size of a CD would be completely gone in less than 24 hours. Just about any kind of dead leaves will be eaten though, oak or maple are fine, if the leaves are dry when you find them soak them in water for 2-3 days before putting into the tank. Be careful collecting leaves from ponds though, they may carry hydra into the tank.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    Cherry shrimp don't need plants or sponges for the babies to hide, they don't eat them. As long as there aren't any fish or hydra in the tank to eat the babies they'll be fine. An air-driven sponge filter is helpful for collecting debris and providing biofiltration. If you really want to provide a good environment toss in some dead leaves for them to eat. Back when I kept cherry shrimp we had a small pond in the back yard, and grew water lilies in that. I'd put dead water lily leaves from the pond into the 10 gallon shrimp tank, and between the shrimp and snails a leaf the size of a CD would be completely gone in less than 24 hours. Just about any kind of dead leaves will be eaten though, oak or maple are fine, if the leaves are dry when you find them soak them in water for 2-3 days before putting into the tank. Be careful collecting leaves from ponds though, they may carry hydra into the tank.
    Okay! thanks so much for the explanation! i was fretting because everytime i try to grow an aquatic plant it dies! (i couldn't even grow elodea.) That really helped clear things up!