· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Can i keep ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp together?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 cherry shrimp of unknown gender (they are either low quality females, or fat males, or something else, and one is a baby so i can't tell.) I also have one ghost shrimp. the ghost shrimp is about the same size as all of the cherry shrimp except the adult baby, which is only a teeny bit smaller (1-2mm?) They are living in a twenty gallon tank with breeding guppies (i don't separate the babies and adults), and i have isolated the cherry shrimp. However, their health seems to be declining (or it's just my imagination) so i want to put the out of their breeding net and keep them with everyone. my amano shirmp (jerry) i don't think will attack anyone, but im worried about my ghost shrimp. i don't have much hope for the maybe future cherry shrimp babies (plus it's been two weeks and they still haven't settled in), but i want the four original to survive. Im not sure if my ghostie is very aggressive, but i just saw it freely swimming in the tank (not on the bottom) and it got close to one of the baby guppies and reached out some legs, but i don't think it was planning to go after it, so i don't think that counts as aggression.
    I know that you can use plants to help protect them, but tbh (please don't hate on me for this) i don't feel like or think i should spend MORE money on plants. i already have five fakes (i only trust marimo balls as live plants.). they are all smushed together to protect some of the baby guppies and i have one lone (pretty dense) fake plant in the corner. i also have a bunch of floating plants (that connected due to the current) that kind of forms a boat that jerry likes to chill in. I also have a cave, but it has three entrances so yeah.

I know a lot of people have asked this question so im sorry, but i think i feel more secure when it is about my specific problem. Im also sorry for the two big blobs of words. Any kind of help is appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    Ghost shrimp can be any one of hundreds of different species. In general they're likely to eat anything they can catch, and are particularly bad to mix with cherry shrimp. Even if they don't eat the adult shrimp they'll likely pick off the babies, though so will the guppies for that matter. If you want to keep cherry shrimp set up a 10 gallon tank with an air-driven sponge filter just for them, and they'll run amok over time. They have such a small bioload you can easily keep hundreds of them of various sizes/ages in a 10 gallon tank. (Been there, done that myself.)

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    + 1 to above.

I have also heard that ghost shrimp and RCS in particular are not compatible, that the ghosts will eat the RCS.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    Ghost shrimp can be any one of hundreds of different species. In general they're likely to eat anything they can catch, and are particularly bad to mix with cherry shrimp. Even if they don't eat the adult shrimp they'll likely pick off the babies, though so will the guppies for that matter. If you want to keep cherry shrimp set up a 10 gallon tank with an air-driven sponge filter just for them, and they'll run amok over time. They have such a small bioload you can easily keep hundreds of them of various sizes/ages in a 10 gallon tank. (Been there, done that myself.)
    Okay thanks! Ummm... i have a five gallon, but as these cherry shrimp don't seem particularly the one i want, i don't want to breed them. I am getting redder cherry shrimp to breed in my five gallon. (that is cycling, but i still don't really know how to cycle, im just letting it run with the filter stuff in it, and for a week i was running it with filter media from my old tank (that i think cycled (there was a white cloud thing on the bottom)) and then changed to new media. i am also adding some prime every day.) ANYWAYS, What should i do then? They don't seem very happy about chillin in a net (although they are alive). If i were to move the shrimp to the big tank, do you know anything i could do with my ghost shrimp? i definitely don't want to kill him. (P.S. i am not really counting on the babies to survive, i just want the adults to live.)