· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Oscar & chocolate cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    Have a baby Oscar and chocolate cichlids placed in a 75gal take. the chocolate cichlid will not allow the Oscar to eat and the Oscar has not grow any the chocolate has grown twice it's size. should I get rid of one or place the Oscar in a separate tank until it grow enough to fend for itself

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO; if you are able to I would get the Oscar a separate tank, a separate forever tank that will be his permanent home. I know many keep Oscars with other fish, but eventually the Oscar will get big enough to consider anything that will fit in his/her mouth to be dinner.

Now I have never had an Oscar-but have read that they are best in a species only tank...
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    The oscar needs its own tank. If you decide to grow it out and decide to put him back, you will need at least a 180g tank for the oscar and chocolate cichlids. A 75g is too small for 1 adult oscar and 1 adult chocolate cichlid.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

1 Not allowed!
    I have kept an Oscar for 4 years. The first year the baby Oscar (4 inches) lived with a baby servum(3 inches) and 3 silver dollars in a 75 gallon tank. The second year everyone grew a bit more and the silver dollars where in constant stress so they had to be re homed. The third year the Oscar and severum grew to about 8 inches long and started being more aggressive with each other(cichlid behaviour). One Saturday morning in the fourth year I found the Severum taking a forever nap on the rug outside the tank. Currently the Oscar lives in his 75 gallon castle on his own and is about 10 to 11 inches big and happy. This is not my opinion but my actual experience, do with this information what you will and good luck.
    Roll the Dice!