· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Can you keep german blue rams from breeding?

0 Not allowed!
    I want two, but i dont want them to breed and become hostile to the other fish. All the research i've done seems to hint that a male and female will always breed. how common is it for them to breed? will 2 females fight? what if i buy a male german blue ram and a female bolivian?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    If you get a male and female SA cichlid, they might pair up. It doesn't matter if they are different species. If the male wants to breed and the female does not, the male might beat the female.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A christmas gift to myself.... - Anders247   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Have this gift, Merry Christmas! - Faded   Merry Christmas! - DebinWhitmore   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    I would not keep GBRs and bolivians together as GBRs need warmer water than bolivians.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    They will breed readily if the desired water conditions and parameters are met. If kept in alkaline waters, for example, they are less likely to breed. BUT that doesn't mean they aren't cichlids and won't fight for territory. The size of your tank could be the determining factor even.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

1 Not allowed!
    if you keep two males only you might have less aggression issues as long as you don't have a female. Yes, they will do what cichlids once in awhile do and flare and maybe butt heads but other tankmates will be ok. I have kept pairs and males only, in a 29 gallon with cardinals and panda garra. When I kept the pair and the had babies they took over half the tank and everyone was stressed out. After they passed away I decided to try two males and the tank seemed balanced. The rams didnt bother anyone else. The lived about a year and then got hole in the head, very sad. Did not get any more rams since then.

~disclaimer~ this was my own personal experience. All fish are different and behave differently and are effected differently depending on environment and Human husbandry i.e. water maintenance and quality

good luck
    Roll the Dice!