· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much, Lee. I'm delighted to have you aboard!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

3 Not allowed!
    Looks great so far. You did much better than me at disguising the back of the tank. I just ended up using garbage bags trimmed to fit the backs of my tanks.

Don't sweat it I also think the paint job looks great. Now what plants and substrate will he put in it I wonder.

Also, Subscribed.
    Last edited by Shidohari; 03-18-2016 at 10:16 PM.

20 gal tall - Helios - HM Betta Male (obtained around 03/2016), 1 zebra nerite, 8-10 cherry shrimp, 1-2 amano shrimp, Java Moss and crypto planted tank w/ Driftwood and Spider Wood

l

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Shidohari. Glad to have you along.

Substrate ponderings... We are aiming for a black substrate, and this will be a planted tank. I have PFS in my 40b, so would like to experience something different. He has expressed interest in both Corys and (small) loaches in the past -- even though we won't add those right away, I'd like to get a substrate that will be good for either of those, in case we go that direction later.

Does anyone find/think that the Eco Complete product encourages algae growth? I'm already concerned just based on the location in front of the windows.

A while back, I had plugged the dimensions into a substrate calculator. I did not save the link to the substrate calculator (apparently) but I did copy the results:

"To achieve a depth of 3 inches in a tank 20 inches long and 10 wide, you will need to purchase 33 lbs of Eco-Complete
    To achieve a depth of 4 inches in a tank 20 inches long and 10 wide, you will need to purchase 44 lbs of Eco-Complete"

Since they are sold in 20# bags, I'm debating this. Would one bag be too thin of a cover? Would two bags be too deep?
    If I opened a bag and only used part of it, is the remainder going to store well?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm subscribed! This is going to be great. I absolutely LOVE that castle! What a great choice for a boys room. I can't wait to see this come together.

Re the back paint. I struggled with patches that just WOULD NOT take paint on my tank too. I painted over the spots several times with acrylic paint. I thought it was completely covered and found out I could still see some places where it wasn't and or was barely covered. The outside of the tank in the back looks terrible, the inside not so bad (mine, not yours). In the end, the plants and all cover it and I'm probably the only one who is aware of them because it becomes an obsession. With decorations and plants it won't be noticed. Don't sweat it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and your kind words, Deb! I'm happy to have you along!

Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    because it becomes an obsession.
    This. ^ So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    With decorations and plants it won't be noticed. Don't sweat it.
    I'm taking that advice and running with it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Rivers, If I remember correctly, it was you who talked me down after my flawed paint job on the back of the 20L.

And you were right..... It all worked out!

Yours does look great!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Thank you, Shidohari. Glad to have you along.

Does anyone find/think that the Eco Complete product encourages algae growth? I'm already concerned just based on the location in front of the windows.

A while back, I had plugged the dimensions into a substrate calculator. I did not save the link to the substrate calculator (apparently) but I did copy the results:

"To achieve a depth of 3 inches in a tank 20 inches long and 10 wide, you will need to purchase 33 lbs of Eco-Complete
    To achieve a depth of 4 inches in a tank 20 inches long and 10 wide, you will need to purchase 44 lbs of Eco-Complete"

Since they are sold in 20# bags, I'm debating this. Would one bag be too thin of a cover? Would two bags be too deep?
    If I opened a bag and only used part of it, is the remainder going to store well?
    I wouldn't attribute eco complete as the source of algae. Algae is due to an imbalance, and that can be a host of things. You just need to find the balance as you go along. As far as the substrate, did you consider a mix?

Imagine an arc shape as the layout of where the plants would be and then an open area in the front with PFS and some anubias and foreground plants. You don't have to have the substrate evenly spread. You can have more of it in the back and less in the front as well.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Front shot of the back painted glass looks very nice! I can't wait to see him choose his decor layout

I agree with Spardas I like having a mixed substrate for different types of plant potential.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Paint job came out just fine, you'll forget about how the back of the tank looks in no time...it really doesn't matter, anyway
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    As far as the substrate, did you consider a mix?

Imagine an arc shape as the layout of where the plants would be and then an open area in the front with PFS and some anubias and foreground plants. You don't have to have the substrate evenly spread. You can have more of it in the back and less in the front as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    I agree with Spardas I like having a mixed substrate for different types of plant potential.
    Every time I have briefly thought about mixing, I think that my aqua-skill set is not nearly there yet. If I had two distinct colors, how do people keep them from being mixed?

One of my dreamed-about setups was to have a bi-level sort of set up, but this tank is too small for that I am thinking. Plus, that (dreamed-about) tank would be all natural décor. Son has his Harry Potter theme in mind. The Castle has a large footprint.

Although, if I could maintain the boundary between two separate colors (if that is what y'all are suggesting with the 'mixed substrate' suggestion) he has already asked if he could have the (bright shade) blue river from the Castle river extend out... that would look really neat. I've admired the Estes substrate and seem to recall that one comes in colors.

But y'all might be suggesting a mix as in blended together.

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast