· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

Talking LiveBearer Fry and Plant Grow out tank ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys! I have been breeding my fancy guppies with good success. I have a 10 Gallon Fry tank underneath my 55 Gallon. I was wondering about using this tank and having a layer of plant substrate. This way I can kill two birds with one stone by growing out propagations and fry at the same. I looked around as to why substrate is bad in a fry tank and they said that it was because fish can become lost in the substrate and its easier to clean. I am hoping that because I am breeding livebearers they won't have any difficulties with the substrate. Any opinions?
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered glass potted rooting plants and/or floating plants like brazilian pennywort or other fancier floaters. Riccia moss?

I personally don't seem to have any issues with potted plants in my grow out tanks, as long as it does not become overgrown for fins to develop nicely and you can clean the bottom easily. Glass containers-I just find look more stylish and clean. Not sure if that's a concern for live-bearers....
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-13-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I had guppies in the past and never had an issue with substrates. I had them in one tank with PetCo's rounded gravel and another with Eco Complete, both planted. I didn't separate my fry, although I did try to pull my males out. The fry were fed right along with the adults. It was fun for several years, but I am now (happily) guppy free.

Have fun with yours.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've bred guppies for several years with a moderate sized gravel (the kind sold at Petsmart) and I have never had any problems. Although the small fry sometimes nestle themselves in between the gravel when they are hiding from something, they never get stuck there. However, I can imagine that food/waste particles could get stuck in the gravel as well and would be difficult to clean out using a gravel vacuum without also vacuuming some fry.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Substrate would just mean it would be a little harder to clean. Make sure the gravel isn't too large, because it could lead to food being trapped.