· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

It's not a sparkling, but you need a fish! - Slaphppy7   

Exclamation Need advice: Risk of disease spreading?

0 Not allowed!
    I just tried adding two Oto Cats to my tank (about 2 months old). They were in there overnight. This morning I notice a pretty big white dot on one of them and both had some redish discoloration. I don't believe it was there the night before. Before I purchased I did read some info saying that Otos are tough to add to tanks and often die. Against my better judgment, I decided to try. I wanted them to clean the algae for me.
    I was not aware of the fact they may develop a disease.

I removed them from the tank this morning. But I am concerned my other fish may be at risk of catching anything the may have had.
    Are there any steps I should take?
    Should I be concerned for my other fish (dwarf cories and endlers livebearers)?
    Should I hold of on adding any additional fish?

I can add some pictures if that would help, but I wanted to get this post going.
    Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    keep the nitrates below 20ppm, and watch the other fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    No, I wouldn't add any new fish at this point. I would give it at least a few more weeks, keep a close eye on the fish presently in your tank and preform lots of water changes.

I don't know if you quarantined your Otos before adding them to your main tank, but I can't stress how important quarentine is. If you cannot quarentine due to space, watching them closely in the LFS for at least a few weeks is a very good idea, and also developing a good relationship with a reputible LFS staff goes a long way to inquire about the fishes' health. Look for otos with fat bellies and clear cheeks.

Otos are usually wild caught, and any fish brought in from the wild can harbor all sorts of pathegens and parasites. They also have a long trip in a bag prior to arriving at the LFS, and are often starving. Getting them used to prepared foods can be a hassel. Otos are very timid and if there are bolder fish, or even shrimp or snails, they can shy away from feeding with them at first.

I don't know for sure what that white bump is, but it's not ich. Maybe someone else knows for sure, but it looks to me like a growth or scar tissue from an injury. I really don't feel that bump is something contagious however. Otos display pink cheeks when under stress, which would be normal if you just introduced them to your tank. But if they are more red, it could be something more serious, like ammonia poisoning or septic infection. Seeing how your tank is planted, I doubt it is ammonia or nitrite poisoning, but it's good to check just in case.

I really wouldn't worry about the other fish in the tank, just keep a close eye on them for anything and watch their behavior for any changes.

What did you do with the Otos? There are other option for riding your tank of algae, and I don't recommend using Otos for that purpose. They will eat all the algae and eventually you will need to provide them their own food.

What type of algae are you trying to rid your tank of?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What are your water parameters? How often do you do water changes (WC) and when was the last time? I would start off with a 50% WC. If it is a small injury fresh water is the best treatment. Of course, don't forget to dechlorinate the water first.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do water changes at least weekly and before I add fish any new fish. I haven't seen anything to be concerned with when testing. It's always been in the ranges recommended by my API master test kit (liquid). I didn't think I should be too concerned. But am pretty new to the hobby and was concerned about the well being of my fish and the health of my tank. Thanks for the reassrance and advice. I decided against the otos. I've kept in touch with the guy from Craigslist that I got my tank setup from. He was able to take them and much more experienced. Ordered a algae scrapping kit from Amazon for the glass. For the plants maybe I'll add some more shrimp, or just rub it off the leaves with my fingers? Any advice for algae on plant leaves. It's not that bad but some of the plants are getting pretty bad. Haven't done much research on algae yet. Most of its brown and just started getting some really dark green stuff on one leaf. And some dark black/ brown stuff on my java moss.