· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default What's going on with my dward Anubias?

0 Not allowed!
    Recently, new leaves unfurling are yellow or brown, while the rest of the plant remains a nice green. Only new leaves are affected.

The rhizomes are above the substrate, with only the roots in the gravel. I've had these plants for a long time, and only recently have new leaves not greened up shortly after opening.

This is in my 20-gallon tall.

Tank parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm, pH 7.4-7.6. I've run out of root tabs with iron, but never had a problem with yellowing leaves prior to using root tabs. Seems iron deficiency isn't the problem.

On one of these plants, part of the rhizome itself was brown. I cut that part off. On the second plant, the whole rhizome is still green, but the new leaf is yellow and only slightly greened around the outer edges, then stopped greening.

Any ideas what's happening, here? No drooping, no wilting -- everything else seems normal.

I haven't changed the lighting in this tank, either, although I have gotten rid of most of the floating duckweed, so more light comes through.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm... It could be due to the increased amount of light from the removal of the duckweed, but that's just a guess. I have an anubias nana that just unfurled a new leaf since I added a more powerful light, and it is noticeably more yellow than the older leaves.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Nitrogen deficiency?

leaf.jpg
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Judging from the illustration, there might be a potassium deficiency. None of the other leaves are affected, however. I do see the pinholes on this new leaf with the yellow edges. It says the leaf otherwise looks normal, but this one doesn't. The color on this one overall leaf is off. Yet, I see none of the other signs. If it were iron deficiency, the whole plant would be affected.

So, how would I go about adding potassium without messing up the tank's stability? And what would be the right amount of potassium? Would this affect my fish or shrimp?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone answer my question?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Is the new growth deformed? If not then it is a nitrogen deficiency which results in new growth being yellow-not deformed in shape.

Seachem sells both nitrogen and potassium-you can dose according to their directions. They also sell Flourish comprehensive which is a compilation of small amounts of some macro and micro nutrients for plants, as well as phosphorus-another macro nutrient, and iron which is good for plants as well. If you don't have any inverts in the tank they also sell a Flourish Trace that has trace minerals-including copper which may or may not impact the shrimp in this amount; but I don't risk it in my tanks with shrimp or snails.

FvsT.jpg

Flourish Comprehensive on left...Flourish Trace (minerals/metals)
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No, the new leaves aren't deformed -- just yellowish, or light brown.

I think I know what the problem is. I had quit using Flourish Comprehensive in my tanks for awhile, and had also quit using root tabs, because nitrates were beginning to rise to a level I wasn't comfortable with. This lack of ferts may be responsible for the off colors, although from what I've read about Anubias, they shouldn't need extra ferts, anyway.

It could also be that since the 20 is so sparsely stocked, the plants aren't getting as many natural nutrients from fish waste as they once did when there were more fish. I also have shrimp in the tank, and various snails.

Now that the nitrates are back down to between 0 and 5 ppm, I'm going to start using the ferts again, in very conservative amounts. I'm also going to increase the school size of the White Clouds.

This could be all that's necessary to correct the problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

--mermaid