· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    Well! My baby woke herself up (I am going to default to 'her' since I'm fairly certain she's a she....and if not...it will be easy enough to change to using 'he' down the road. I have trouble using 'it'...lol) yesterday. Then she did laps around the enclosure...and then she pigged out...did more laps...pigged out...and went back to bury herself in the corner...

I'm happy to know she's active and eating so quickly.

I am having some technical difficulties with lights...and am a little ticked off. If I'm spending that much money - you'd think someone would know more about lights and what's best under what circumstances...

First I bought a two light set - florescent UV bulb and a separate heat bulb. The UV bulb didn't fit in the dome that they sold me to go with the lights. So I had to use a different dome. The heat bulb didn't work from the get go. So I'm returning the set. Now I have a mercury vapour light (UV and heat all in one)...but it seems to make the edges the enclosure too hot so I have to lift the light higher and extend it further over the top of the enclosure and my current stand won't do what I need it to do...so I have to go buy another stand.

I now have 3 different lights and 2 different domes and a stand that doesn't work. And I'm still not done.

Part of the reason I'm just caving and buying everything (in addition to trying NOT to make something when I don't know what I'm making) is so it all fits together and works well while I learn the ropes...

I don't know why they have to make it so confusing...and I'm blaming the companies for the confusion. Packaging is confusing...details are confusing...no wonder so many beginners mess up and pet store employees are clueless.

I did ask for a MV bulb at PetSmart to begin with...and was told they had none. After running around the city yesterday looking for some place else that sold MV bulbs...hubby went back to PetSmart...and lo and behold! There they were! On the shelf! I just didn't notice them when I was looking...and apparently neither did the employee who was helping us look...

Anyway...I'm returning the two bulb set (it was $60)...and getting a different stand. Hopefully THAT combination will do the trick.

**I did not leave the thermometer cord loose in the enclosure...I was watching and checking temperatures while she was out and about...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rue; 02-29-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    Well...I came home last night to find Goosefoot on her back, in her feed bowl. I have no idea how long she'd been stuck like that. I had previously watched her crawl in and out of the bowl without issue several times, so how she managed to flip herself is a bit of mystery.

I righted her...she pee'd on me (guess she's getting enough water at least!)...and then went and buried herself in the corner. She was still there when I left for work this morning.

I turned the feed dish upside down...so hopefully that can't happen again. She can still eat, and keep her beak trimmed, on the underside of the terra cotta material.

I still feel bad! It was one of the saddest, most stressful things I have ever seen! :(

I know the survival rate of hatchlings is very low in nature...and obviously Mother Nature has some issues with design flaws...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Aww!...I hope she'll be alright

Don't beat yourself up over it, not your fault at all
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Goosefoot is a pretty girl! You've set her up with an awesome room. I hope she is back to being active after her scare last night.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you! And me too! I'm a little anxious...lol. Need to get home to check on her!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I hope things are well at your house.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yes! Thank you! No flipped baby when I got home! I gave her her bath last night and she seemed to be fully back in Zen Tortoise mode.

All I'm watching for now is poop. They're supposed to like to poop in the bath water...but so far - nada. She's eating well...so maybe I just missed finding it...or maybe she re-ate it. Apparently they do that...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    This was so cute and adorable... until I got to the part about re-eating.

HA!

Seriously though, I'm so glad that things are going well and she seems to be settling in, for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    or maybe she re-ate it. Apparently they do that...
    Glad I finished my Baby Ruth before I read that....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Success! She pooped in her bath water! We are both relieved! :D

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast